Ottawa 2L recruit

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Currently a 2L at uOttawa in the French program. Interviewed with Gowling today and was told by other students that my offer is basically guaranteed because that office has to hire students from the french section of the program? Does anyone know how true this is? 

chaboywb
  • Lawyer

I'm confused - are you the only 2L in the French program that has an interview? How can you know that?

I can't imagine they need to do anything. Maybe they typically do but under what circumstance would a firm be required to hire students from a specific program?

Guest Anonymous
48 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

I'm confused - are you the only 2L in the French program that has an interview? How can you know that?

I can't imagine they need to do anything. Maybe they typically do but under what circumstance would a firm be required to hire students from a specific program?

I meant OCI. Because they need French speaking students and the firm hosts a number of students from the faculty. I see in past years they've hired many students from the program that seem a bit supbar compared to the other students in the cohort that are hired.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Have you considered the possibility that French students are just overall a bit subpar? 

Also, have you considered the reputational risk of being the only student interviewed from uOttawa’s french program and telling the internet you think a bunch of students and lawyers from the firm are “a bit subpar”? 

• Like 4

Guest Anonymous
35 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Have you considered the possibility that French students are just overall a bit subpar? 

I'm confused... so you do agree that Franco students *are* subpar.

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
39 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Also, have you considered the reputational risk of being the only student interviewed from uOttawa’s french program and telling the internet you think a bunch of students and lawyers from the firm are “a bit subpar”? 

It's okay, they're anonymous!

Times like this make me reflect on the fact I have (1) recognized multiple people I know on this forum from school and working on Bay Street through clearly-identifiable information in their posts (and am aware that I am very likely identifiable if someone cared enough, and as such try very hard not to say anything on here I wouldn't say in real life) and (2) had people I know, including a student director, tell me they read this forum regularly to get a sense of how students perceive their firm and other gossip.

I imagine any current Gowlings lawyer in Ottawa that graduated from uOttawa's French program who comes across this thread would be apprehensive of an incoming 2L from that program... sometimes saying less is better!

Edited by chaboywb
  • Like 3

Archaeolaw
  • Law Student

Not to pile on, but I think the main issues here are: 1) You've decided that Gowling's grads from the French program are subpar based on... what? The little blurb that firms have where it says "X graduated Summa Cum Laude and in his/her spare time he/she enjoys hiking"? Surely you need more evidence than that, especially as a 2L judging people farther along than you are. 

2) The attitude of "can I get a job even if I am subpar because I speak French?" Is just not a good approach for the recruit. Just be confident and act like a normal human in your interviews. 

Best of luck. It's stressful but this is just unnecessary. 

Guest Anonymous
6 minutes ago, Archaeolaw said:

Not to pile on, but I think the main issues here are: 1) You've decided that Gowling's grads from the French program are subpar based on... what? The little blurb that firms have where it says "X graduated Summa Cum Laude and in his/her spare time he/she enjoys hiking"? Surely you need more evidence than that, especially as a 2L judging people farther along than you are. 

2) The attitude of "can I get a job even if I am subpar because I speak French?" Is just not a good approach for the recruit. Just be confident and act like a normal human in your interviews. 

Best of luck. It's stressful but this is just unnecessary. 

It wasn't meant to be an attack. I did not write the LSAT like most law students do and many of those students haven't either. Heck most of those franco students are in a combined 6 year program. I had poor grades in undergrad but did some varsity sports, gov jobs and this happened to be the only law school i got in. I can acknowledge we had an easy way in. Whereas the students from gowling cohort not from the french program have masters degrees, some phds, go to tier 1 law schools.

Sure the recruit it hard for everyone but I do think it would be very oblivious to recognize that their office has a demand for french students so they dont mind picking below average students to meet that quota requirement. I dont mind as long as I get the job.

flawless1551
  • Applicant
11 minutes ago, Guest Anonymous said:

It wasn't meant to be an attack. I did not write the LSAT like most law students do and many of those students haven't either. Heck most of those franco students are in a combined 6 year program. I had poor grades in undergrad but did some varsity sports, gov jobs and this happened to be the only law school i got in. I can acknowledge we had an easy way in. Whereas the students from gowling cohort not from the french program have masters degrees, some phds, go to tier 1 law schools.

Sure the recruit it hard for everyone but I do think it would be very oblivious to recognize that their office has a demand for french students so they dont mind picking below average students to meet that quota requirement. I dont mind as long as I get the job.

How did the initial screening go?? Was it mainly just a get to know you for French program too?

Lucky54
  • Applicant

Hello! Wondering if anyone has heard from any firms like Nelligan, BLG or Gowling about in firms?

scooter
  • Law Student

I know someone who heard from BLG. Not sure about the rest though

coffeelover
  • Law School Admit

1 hour ago, scooter said:

I know someone who heard from BLG. Not sure about the rest though

from what school?

scooter
  • Law Student
30 minutes ago, coffeelover said:

from what school?

Ottawa

Lucky54
  • Applicant
4 minutes ago, scooter said:

Ottawa

Did they hear an offer or a rejection?

CobDob
  • Applicant

Heard back from BLG on Tuesday for an infirm. They have 7 days of interviews though, so they could still be doing their rounds 

Edited by CobDob

scooter
  • Law Student
38 minutes ago, Lucky54 said:

Did they hear an offer or a rejection?

An offer for an infirm interview

Toast Viking
  • Law Student
8 hours ago, Lucky54 said:

Hello! Wondering if anyone has heard from any firms like Nelligan, BLG or Gowling about in firms?

Heard from Nelligan today

Anyone hear from Dentons, Fasken or Gowling?

non-monogamist
  • Law Student

Has anyone heard back from Raven Law? They are my top choice and I’m getting a bit nervous. 

flawless1551
  • Applicant

Heard from Dentons and Gowling

Anyone hear from Labarge or Rasmussen Starr??

non-monogamist
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, flawless1551 said:

Heard from Dentons and Gowling

Anyone hear from Labarge or Rasmussen Starr??

Both Labarge and Rasmussen went out

flawless1551
  • Applicant
On 2/13/2024 at 5:51 PM, non-monogamist said:

Both Labarge and Rasmussen went out

Oh wonderful 

flawless1551
  • Applicant

Last year many who were invited back for a 2nd in-firm heard that same night from a number of firms, and those who were not didn't get a POF until Thurs/Fri. 

I know some firms have said we'll hear from them very soon and get it's still early but has anyone heard of that being the case so far this year as well?

Toast Viking
  • Law Student

Has anyone heard back from McMillan about 2nd in-firms yet?

Archaeolaw
  • Law Student

Has anyone heard from BLG or Dentons since doing their in-firm with them? Or heard from Mann Lawyers since doing their online interview? Just wondering how long we should wait with no word before we should be concerned.