Cgpa: 2.95, L2/B2: 3.63, LSAT: 163

canadianresident789

canadianresident789
  • Undergrad

Chances for Ontario schools; will be applying in October. I know my first 2 years are bad due to mental health, online school/covid etc, but hoping my last two years and LSAT will offset some of that. I am planning to retake the LSAT as I feel I could do better and hopefully push it past a 165.

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit

Osgoode and U of T are likely out.

Western is a coin toss. 

Queens, I'd say is a post-April acceptance (Good chances). 

Windsor, I'd say you have good chances.

TMU is hard to gauge, but I'd also say good chances. 

Bora Laskin you've got good chances with too. 

Most of your acceptances will likely be late cycle (March) or post- first wave acceptances (post-April 1st) if I were to venture a guess. 

If you can, get documentation for your mental health issues if you have any formal diagnoses with a family doctor, GP or Psych. You could make a viable access claim and further leverage your already solid B2/LSAT profile. 

With an access claim and a 165 LSAT, Osgoode and Western look more likely. U of T will remain unlikely. 

Edited by MyWifesBoyfriend

canadianresident789
  • Undergrad
52 minutes ago, MyWifesBoyfriend said:

Osgoode and U of T are likely out.

Western is a coin toss. 

Queens, I'd say is a post-April acceptance (Good chances). 

Windsor, I'd say you have good chances.

TMU is hard to gauge, but I'd also say good chances. 

Bora Laskin you've got good chances with too. 

Most of your acceptances will likely be late cycle (March) or post- first wave acceptances (post-April 1st) if I were to venture a guess. 

If you can, get documentation for your mental health issues if you have any formal diagnoses with a family doctor, GP or Psych. You could make a viable access claim and further leverage your already solid B2/LSAT profile. 

With an access claim and a 165 LSAT, Osgoode and Western look more likely. U of T will remain unlikely. 

Wow that’s honestly better than I was expecting haha. Any thoughts on what lsat score would make osgoode VERY likely. I scored 163 with not much studying and was pting above it so I think I could potentially push for a 170

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit
4 minutes ago, canadianresident789 said:

Any thoughts on what lsat score would make osgoode VERY likely

Unlikely, even with a high score. I think there's one reported 166/2.x cGPA in the 2023 cycle thread, and I'd say they have above average softs. 

However, there's also plenty of high 16x scorers and low 3.x cGPAs that got rejected or waitlisted. This link will do a better job of explaining what to do: https://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/programs/juris-doctor/juris-doctor-admissions/application-components/personal-statement/

Regardless, I'd shoot for a 170+ if you're confident in this goal. It certainly won't close any doors, and you have plenty of time before January 2025. 

Of course, this is all pure speculation, and neither you, or anyone, should take what I say as axiomatic. 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
21 minutes ago, canadianresident789 said:

Wow that’s honestly better than I was expecting haha.

Because (although well-intentioned) it's unrealistically optimistic (sorry @MyWifesBoyfriend).

My grade situation was similar enough to yours, I had a 173 LSAT and medical documentation providing an explanation for my poor first year grades tanking my cGPA. I was rejected from UofT early (never waitlisted) and waitlisted at Western (a supposed L2 school I had the median admit L2 for and a way higher than median LSAT score for).

You need to apply broadly and expect crapshoot results. And there's no LSAT score that will make an Osgoode or UofT "very likely."

• Like 1

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit

I'll defer to @CleanHands and add a further note: My understanding of chances are heavily skewed by the available data pool of previous accepted/rejected/waitlisted applicant posts on this forum and Reddit. Everyone loves to report where they've been accepted, but you'll be hard-pressed to find people scrambling to a public forum to brag about their waitlist or rejection decisions. 

• Like 1

canadianresident789
  • Undergrad
30 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Because (although well-intentioned) it's unrealistically optimistic (sorry @MyWifesBoyfriend).

My grade situation was similar enough to yours, I had a 173 LSAT and medical documentation providing an explanation for my poor first year grades tanking my cGPA. I was rejected from UofT early (never waitlisted) and waitlisted at Western (a supposed L2 school I had the median admit L2 for and a way higher than median LSAT score for).

You need to apply broadly and expect crapshoot results. And there's no LSAT score that will make an Osgoode or UofT "very likely."

Where did you end up getting accepted if you don’t mind? Where would you also say I have good chances. I’d want to stay in toronto ideally for law school, and I definitely don’t mind going to tmu. Also as far as the holistic aspects I’d say I have strong softs, also poc, grew up in rough neighborhood etc..

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
4 minutes ago, canadianresident789 said:

Where did you end up getting accepted if you don’t mind? Where would you also say I have good chances. I’d want to stay in toronto ideally for law school, and I definitely don’t mind going to tmu. Also as far as the holistic aspects I’d say I have strong softs, also poc, grew up in rough neighborhood etc..

I didn't apply to too many Ontario schools and UofT was the only school in Toronto I applied to, so my application outcomes probably aren't that useful to you beyond what I described. I ended up going to UBC (where I received first round acceptance). The drop system they used take some of one's worst grades out of consideration helped immensely.

If you don't mind going to TMU I'm confident you will land somewhere that works for you just fine. Just apply broadly, aim high but have backups. Good luck!

canadianresident789
  • Undergrad
7 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

I didn't apply to too many Ontario schools and UofT was the only school in Toronto I applied to, so my application outcomes probably aren't that useful to you beyond what I described. I ended up going to UBC (where I received first round acceptance). The drop system they used take some of one's worst grades out of consideration helped immensely.

If you don't mind going to TMU I'm confident you will land somewhere that works for you just fine. Just apply broadly, aim high but have backups. Good luck!

Wow not a bad consolation prize at all, congrats to you! How does the drop system work, I haven’t really looked into ubc or anywhere outside of Ontario tbh. Also do you have any idea what my chances at queens or ottawa would be

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer

I had very similar stats when I applied years ago. Out of the Ontario schools, I was waitlisted at Western, so there's a chance for you there. TMU didn't have a law school at the time, but I'd imagine you have a decent shot. I ended up going to TRU, which was sort of like TMU in that it was the newest law school.

canadianresident789
  • Undergrad
23 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

I had very similar stats when I applied years ago. Out of the Ontario schools, I was waitlisted at Western, so there's a chance for you there. TMU didn't have a law school at the time, but I'd imagine you have a decent shot. I ended up going to TRU, which was sort of like TMU in that it was the newest law school.

What about schools like queens and ottawa

canadianresident789
  • Undergrad
28 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

Haha just realized by ur picture and username you’re probably based in BC, so you might not have applied to those schools. Still wondering if you had any insight into those schools as I can barely find people on here with similar stats to me. Also what lsat score do u think would put me firmly in contention for many of the Ontario schools.

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
48 minutes ago, canadianresident789 said:

Haha just realized by ur picture and username you’re probably based in BC, so you might not have applied to those schools. Still wondering if you had any insight into those schools as I can barely find people on here with similar stats to me. Also what lsat score do u think would put me firmly in contention for many of the Ontario schools.

I applied to both Queens and Ottawa, but was rejected from both. But at the time, Queens was looking at cGPA I believe, and not L2.

pastmidnight
  • Law Student

OP, I would spend some time going through the website of each common law school in Canada to (1) figure out how they calculate applicants’ cGPA (e.g. are any credits dropped), or if they look at L2/B2/B20/etc and (2) if you would be eligible to apply under each school’s access/special circumstances category. You should cast a wider net and apply to schools outside of Ontario to both maximize your chances of getting an acceptance next cycle, and to give yourself more options.

You have a low cGPA, and your L2/B2 is lower than schools generally like to see (usually they’re looking for at least a 3.7). Your LSAT score is solid, but not outstanding. Right now your best bets in Ontario are TMU, Windsor, and Lakehead. If you want more options, you need to see if you’re eligible to apply under the access category.

When you apply with a low GPA, unfortunately you just are not going to have as many options as students with stronger GPAs. I don’t think there is any LSAT score that will put you firmly in contention for Osgoode, UofT, Queen’s, Western, or Ottawa. When you apply with a lower cGPA, you need to hope that schools will look at the rest of your application and decide to take a chance on you (which you can encourage them to do by doing very well on the LSAT, but even then nothing is guaranteed), or target schools that drop your lowest credits (e.g. UBC). 

I would still encourage you to rewrite the LSAT, because a higher score would help, it just isn’t going to be the silver bullet that will make an admissions committee ignore your cGPA the way I get the impression you think it can.

canadianresident789
  • Undergrad
8 minutes ago, pastmidnight said:

OP, I would spend some time going through the website of each common law school in Canada to (1) figure out how they calculate applicants’ cGPA (e.g. are any credits dropped), or if they look at L2/B2/B20/etc and (2) if you would be eligible to apply under each school’s access/special circumstances category. You should cast a wider net and apply to schools outside of Ontario to both maximize your chances of getting an acceptance next cycle, and to give yourself more options.

You have a low cGPA, and your L2/B2 is lower than schools generally like to see (usually they’re looking for at least a 3.7). Your LSAT score is solid, but not outstanding. Right now your best bets in Ontario are TMU, Windsor, and Lakehead. If you want more options, you need to see if you’re eligible to apply under the access category.

When you apply with a low GPA, unfortunately you just are not going to have as many options as students with stronger GPAs. I don’t think there is any LSAT score that will put you firmly in contention for Osgoode, UofT, Queen’s, Western, or Ottawa. When you apply with a lower cGPA, you need to hope that schools will look at the rest of your application and decide to take a chance on you (which you can encourage them to do by doing very well on the LSAT, but even then nothing is guaranteed), or target schools that drop your lowest credits (e.g. UBC). 

I would still encourage you to rewrite the LSAT, because a higher score would help, it just isn’t going to be the silver bullet that will make an admissions committee ignore your cGPA the way I get the impression you think it can.

How good of a shot do u think I have at tmu as things stand rn. I know they take B20 and my B20 would probably be in the 3.7-3.9 range

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit
7 hours ago, canadianresident789 said:

How good of a shot do u think I have at tmu as things stand rn. I know they take B20 and my B20 would probably be in the 3.7-3.9 range

If that's your B20, and you have softs outside of University X's pre-law society, then I'd say you've got an excellent chance. 

• Like 1

canadianresident789
  • Undergrad
4 hours ago, MyWifesBoyfriend said:

If that's your B20, and you have softs outside of University X's pre-law society, then I'd say you've got an excellent chance. 

Phew thank u😅 I’d say I have pretty good softs (LOTS of community involvement, working at and eventually running  a youth summer camp for 3 summers, etc etc). Would this differentiate me more than people’s typical softs eg: pre law society.

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit
15 minutes ago, canadianresident789 said:

I have pretty good softs (LOTS of community involvement, working at and eventually running  a youth summer camp for 3 summers, etc etc). Would this differentiate me more than people’s typical softs eg: pre law society.

Not really. I think the FAQ section of this forum does a good job of talking about softs. 

• Like 1