Articling in house vs Articling in the Government

Iclown

Iclown
  • Law Student

After not getting into Biglaw, I was offered an articling position in house at a well-known international car manufacture. I also got an articling offer within the government of Ontario. The salary for the inhouse position has not yet been revealed to me but I suspect the government would pay me slightly more. What are you guys's thoughts on this. Is articling in house or at the government better for my future career (probably not going to apply again at Biglaws)

Iclown
  • Law Student

I would prefer a 40 hour per week kind of career. My intrests are in IP and Commercial law 

• 2 weeks later...
TheDevilIKnow
  • Lawyer
On 2/6/2024 at 8:10 AM, Iclown said:

I would prefer a 40 hour per week kind of career.

This might be a wash between the two. Depends on the particular government branch/ministry, and depends on the particular corporation and what it has going on.

On 2/6/2024 at 8:10 AM, Iclown said:

My intrests are in IP and Commercial law 

This leans very heavily in favour of in-house. There is virtually no IP in government, and not very much commercial law (other than certain issues with procurement contracts, etc.)

• Like 1

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer
On 2/6/2024 at 11:10 AM, Iclown said:

I would prefer a 40 hour per week kind of career. My intrests are in IP and Commercial law 

I know a few in-house counsel's.  Don't assume it is a 40 hours per week position. It can be anything but.  Lots of travel across the country.  Depends on the position, obviously.