Osgoode vs BC schools for public service

biffo852

biffo852
  • Applicant

Cross posted on Reddit too:

I've been accepted to Osgoode and am very excited about joining this year. However, I have yet to hear back from several schools in the west coast, including UBC and U Vic. This may be an entirely moot point as I may get an R from both (though I think I do stand a chance). But perhaps you could humor me in a counterfactual.

I am in particular interested in getting a public service job with the department of justice, attorney general, prosecution service, or a government ministry. Failing that, a position with a public body such as SEC, IIO/SIU, or coroner. Yes, I understand it is extremely hard to get these jobs, they go to people with good grades and the right academic profiles. I understand Osgoode is a great all-rounder school that has a great reputation with government lawyers.

The one wrinkle is that I ultimately want to end up back in Vancouver where I live now. I also understand that it is usually best to go to school where you want to work. Would it be a significant impediment for me joining BC MAG/prosecution service if I went to Osgoode? I would not mind working for Ontario Gov/Federal to gain good experience and lateraling over, but I have also been told that many of these jobs are attained in law school and hard to get into after graduation.

Even though I am most excited about attending Osgoode, I would be pretty happy to attend UBC if they take me ( I wouldn't mind the lower tuition too of 26k vs 13k). U Vic vs Osgoode is a more contentious dilemma. Though I understand U Vic has a great co-op program with some reserved placements in the provincial government, the course offerings are definitely not on par with Osgoode owing to the larger size of the Osgoode program.

What are you random opinions regarding this? Thanks for humoring me!