Advice on Cold-Emailing for Articling Jobs

legallynotblondee

legallynotblondee
  • Law Student

I am currently seeking an articling position in Edmonton/surrounding areas, but am feeling a bit overwhelmed and discouraged.

I was planning to start cold-emailing some smaller firms, basically expressing my interest in articling with their firm if there are any openings, and attaching a cover letter and resume. Is this a viable plan? None of these firms have posted an opening for an articling student, but have taken on a student in the past. I'm wondering if anyone has succeeded with this approach in landing a job,  or what your experience was. Any tips would be much appreciated! 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 4

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer

This is how I (and many others) landed my articling job. The "trick" is to actually take the time to personalize your email and cover letter.

Here's a post I made a few years ago about my job hunt:

• Like 4

scooter
  • Law Student

It is definitely a viable plan if you stick with it! Expect that some people will not respond, and it's not personal at all. The people that do respond will generally be nice and willing to help you out.

I think that @canuckfanatic's post linked above has a lot of really good tips and I would try to emulate their approach in terms of research, personalization, etc.

Some additional things that I would do:

• The first line of your email should stand out as personalized to the person & firm. Even something simple like "I saw you are X Position at ABC Firm, and I am interested in..." - Get the person's attention and show them that this isn't some mass email sent to 1,000 people. Don't bury the personalization somewhere in the middle or at the end.
  • Keep it short - ideally your entire email should fit on someone's phone screen without scrolling.
  • End the email with a specific "call to action" - what do you want the person to do? Speak with you, intro you to the appropriate contact, etc.? Make it easy for the person to respond. For example, "Would you have 20 minutes next week to discuss XYZ? Best, legallynotblondee" Or maybe you just want to ask them a direct question like "Are you planning to hire an articling student this year?" - this would be easy for them to respond to, and voila, you've started a conversation!
  • Don't be afraid to follow up politely if you don't hear back. I'd say maybe 1-1.5 weeks later? A lot of people will see your email and intend to reply, but then forget because other things come up. Respond to the email thread with something quick like "Hi Name, I just wanted to follow up on my interest in articling at ABC Firm. Are you planning to hire an articling student this year?" In my experience this type of email gets way more replies than the first personalized email. This works best if the second email is really short and to the point.
  • If you don't hear back from one person, don't give up on the firm completely. Try reaching out to someone else. Don't assume it's a "no" until someone actually responds and tells you that they aren't hiring.
  • If someone replies but says they aren't hiring, ask them if they know of anyone else that you should reach out to instead. If they've taken the time to respond instead of just ignoring your email, they may be willing to help you out
  • Like 4

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
39 minutes ago, scooter said:
  • Get the person's attention and show them that this isn't some mass email sent to 1,000 people. Don't bury the personalization somewhere in the middle or at the end.
  • Keep it short - ideally your entire email should fit on someone's phone screen without scrolling.
  • End the email with a specific "call to action" - what do you want the person to do? Speak with you, intro you to the appropriate contact, etc.? Make it easy for the person to respond. For example, "Would you have 20 minutes next week to discuss XYZ? Best, legallynotblondee" Or maybe you just want to ask them a direct question like "Are you planning to hire an articling student this year?" - this would be easy for them to respond to, and voila, you've started a conversation
  • If you don't hear back from one person, don't give up on the firm completely. Try reaching out to someone else. Don't assume it's a "no" until someone actually responds and tells you that they aren't hiring.
  • If someone replies but says they aren't hiring, ask them if they know of anyone else that you should reach out to instead.

Can't emphasize the bolded ones enough. And a related couple of notes that I'm going to highlight because this has both worked for me, and for people I've batted for:

• If you get that call, come prepared. Spend 30 minutes or so figuring out what that person/firm is working on, or has worked on. Find ways to link your experiences to those files/areas. Ask questions based on all of it. Show active interest in their work.
  • But do NOT make the other person feel like they need drive the conversation. 
  • Like 2

legallynotblondee
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, scooter said:

It is definitely a viable plan if you stick with it! Expect that some people will not respond, and it's not personal at all. The people that do respond will generally be nice and willing to help you out.

I think that @canuckfanatic's post linked above has a lot of really good tips and I would try to emulate their approach in terms of research, personalization, etc.

Some additional things that I would do:

• The first line of your email should stand out as personalized to the person & firm. Even something simple like "I saw you are X Position at ABC Firm, and I am interested in..." - Get the person's attention and show them that this isn't some mass email sent to 1,000 people. Don't bury the personalization somewhere in the middle or at the end.
  • End the email with a specific "call to action" - what do you want the person to do? Speak with you, intro you to the appropriate contact, etc.? Make it easy for the person to respond. For example, "Would you have 20 minutes next week to discuss XYZ? Best, legallynotblondee" Or maybe you just want to ask them a direct question like "Are you planning to hire an articling student this year?" - this would be easy for them to respond to, and voila, you've started a conversation!
  • Don't be afraid to follow up politely if you don't hear back. I'd say maybe 1-1.5 weeks later? A lot of people will see your email and intend to reply, but then forget because other things come up. Respond to the email thread with something quick like "Hi Name, I just wanted to follow up on my interest in articling at ABC Firm. Are you planning to hire an articling student this year?" In my experience this type of email gets way more replies than the first personalized email. This works best if the second email is really short and to the point.
  • If someone replies but says they aren't hiring, ask them if they know of anyone else that you should reach out to instead. If they've taken the time to respond instead of just ignoring your email, they may be willing to help you out

Thank you so much for this! 
If the firm has a careers/hiring section on their website, is it worth using that email to apply even if there isn’t a posting? Or is it better to pick an actual member of the firm and ask them? Thanks for your help 🙂

legallynotblondee
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, canuckfanatic said:

This is how I (and many others) landed my articling job. The "trick" is to actually take the time to personalize your email and cover letter.

Here's a post I made a few years ago about my job hunt:

Thank you for this! Your post was super helpful. Did you essentially outline 2-3 notable things and follow with asking whether they are hiring? I’m struggling with whether I should outright say “I’m interested in articling with X Firm, if any positions exist”

Thanks for your help-the whole process is daunting. 

LMP
  • Articling Student

You don't have to be shy about it. I used the same strategy for my 1L job search and everyone was very open to a direct ask. Frankly, a lot of these smaller firms are pretty flattered you're expressing such a clear interest and people are happy to try and help you out. 

Everyone is happy to talk and no one will take offense if you ask them directly about hiring. 

Phaedrus
  • Lawyer

Here's a previous post I made about my approach to networking to find articles. 

• Like 1

• ZineZ pinned this topic
ZineZ
  • Lawyer

Quick note - I'm pinning this post as there's some great content in here, including linked content. 

• Like 4

legallynotblondee
  • Law Student

Thank you for your help everyone! It is very appreciated!

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
11 hours ago, legallynotblondee said:

Thank you for this! Your post was super helpful. Did you essentially outline 2-3 notable things and follow with asking whether they are hiring? I’m struggling with whether I should outright say “I’m interested in articling with X Firm, if any positions exist”

Thanks for your help-the whole process is daunting. 

Here's the (redacted) verbatim email I sent that lead to my articling job:

RE: Articling Inquiry - Canuckfanatic

Dear [Name Partner],

I am writing to inquire about whether Law Firm LLP (LF) is considering adding an articling student to its team. I am drawn to LF because of my strong interest in being a part of [City]'s economic development, which is reflected by my membership on the policy team for the [City] Board of Trade [NTD: I was aware that this particular firm cared a lot about community involvement/economic development of the community].

I recently completed my J.D. at [Law School], where I served as President of the [Student Organization] and [was selected for X award].

Attached below is my cover letter, resume, and transcript. Please let me know if there are any further steps I should take to pursue an articling position with LF, or if you need any additional information.

Thank you,

Canuckfanatic
[Phone #]

Notice how short I kept the email, and how I asked for a job in the first sentence. As said above, it needs to be to-the-point. 

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

legallynotblondee
  • Law Student
10 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

Here's the (redacted) verbatim email I sent that lead to my articling job:

Notice how short I kept the email, and how I asked for a job in the first sentence. As said above, it needs to be to-the-point. 

Thank you! This is super helpful!!