MAG offer letter discrepancy

AlanDershowitz

AlanDershowitz
  • Articling Student

There is a discrepancy between my offer letter and what MAG advertised in its job postings. The rate of pay is $1457.33 in my offer letter, but $1478.97 on the Law student programs page on Ontario.ca. 

Should I bring this up to HR?

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

They aren't going to punish you or think poorly of you for politely inquiring about this.

• Like 1

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

How the hell you gunna advocate for anyone else if you can't advocate for yourself.

In all seriousness, being direct about your compensation is a good skill to get under your belt early.

ZineZ
  • Lawyer

It's the OPS. The HR person won't even blink, OP. It makes zero difference for the office. Bring it up and don't worry about it

Kibitzer
  • Lawyer
On 2/20/2024 at 9:38 AM, AlanDershowitz said:

There is a discrepancy between my offer letter and what MAG advertised in its job postings. The rate of pay is $1457.33 in my offer letter, but $1478.97 on the Law student programs page on Ontario.ca. 

Should I bring this up to HR?

Looks like they are just using an outdated figure or your offer letter was sent before it changed.

From what I understand, $1,457.33 was the 2023 articling salary rate until around October/November of this year when it was announced everyone received an across the board increase. The new articling rate (which was actually made retroactive from July 1, 2023) is now $1,478.97

AlanDershowitz
  • Articling Student

FYI to anyone else articling with MAG - I reached out to HR and they sent me a revised offer with the correct amount. Not sure if they would have updated the rate otherwise so it may be worth it to mention it 

• Like 2