worried about 2L recruit - how bad are my grades?

IDKWHATIMDOING

IDKWHATIMDOING
  • Law Student

okay so im a bit nervous and slightly freaking out because i feel like i set myself up for failure. These are my first sem grades - how bad are they? Are these okay for the 2L recruit? I still have no idea what i want to do in terms of practice area but just overall concerned with how bad my grades are. Any insight would be much appreciated! 

B+ - CONTRACTS 

B - CRIMINAL LAW

B - TORTS

chaboywb
  • Lawyer

It is hard to say with just three grades but, so far, you appear to be performing as an average student. If you end the year with mostly Bs and a couple B+, you'll perhaps get a few OCIs. If you can figure out where you missed marks in first semester and can land some As, your chances will go way up. Don't stress too much - your grades certainly are not bad - but definitely aim to improve if you want to improve your chances at the 2L recruit.

• Like 1

Scrantonicity2
  • Law Student

First, your grades aren't bad. More than half your classes got Bs. You are in the middle of a pack of smart, capable people. Congratulations! 

That said, are they exceptionally good? No. This will affect your competitiveness in the 1L recruit. You are by no means out of contention, but you won't be as competitive as someone who got As.

Lastly, some unsolicited advice: if you aren't sure what you want to do in the future (and you aren't leaning Big Law or Corporate), I'd suggest considering skipping the 1L recruit. I did, and it saved my sanity and left me open to some opportunities that were (IMO) much more exciting. Obviously what happens in the 1L recruit doesn't determine your destiny, but there is a kind of inertia that can set in if you get a job, go back for 2L summer, and then article. 

• Like 1

IDKWHATIMDOING
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, chaboywb said:

It is hard to say with just three grades but, so far, you appear to be performing as an average student. If you end the year with mostly Bs and a couple B+, you'll perhaps get a few OCIs. If you can figure out where you missed marks in first semester and can land some As, your chances will go way up. Don't stress too much - your grades certainly are not bad - but definitely aim to improve if you want to improve your chances at the 2L recruit.

Thank you so much! 

4 hours ago, Scrantonicity2 said:

First, your grades aren't bad. More than half your classes got Bs. You are in the middle of a pack of smart, capable people. Congratulations! 

That said, are they exceptionally good? No. This will affect your competitiveness in the 1L recruit. You are by no means out of contention, but you won't be as competitive as someone who got As.

Lastly, some unsolicited advice: if you aren't sure what you want to do in the future (and you aren't leaning Big Law or Corporate), I'd suggest considering skipping the 1L recruit. I did, and it saved my sanity and left me open to some opportunities that were (IMO) much more exciting. Obviously what happens in the 1L recruit doesn't determine your destiny, but there is a kind of inertia that can set in if you get a job, go back for 2L summer, and then article. 

Thank you so much!!