Please help!! Osgoode vs Dal

LawyerG

LawyerG
  • Law School Admit

Hi! I would really appreciate any advice! I have been admitted to both Osgoode and Dalhousie and am really stressed trying to choose. 

I am from Nova Scotia so Dal is closer to my family and my significant other, but rent is crazy in Halifax. I am interested in corporate law. I recently visited Osgoode and am definitely attracted to its prestige and reputation, and they offered me a scholarship. I think that I would try to live on campus at Osgoode and I am wondering if anyone could provide input on their experiences living on campus and if they felt unsafe in the York area, as that is definitely a main consideration for me. I am also wondering if Osgoode opens more doors or if it will be harder to work in Nova Scotia after grad coming from an Ontario school. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

MintGirly
  • Law School Admit

afaik employers are very wary of ON graduates, especially those who lack ties to the maritimes - such candidates are generally dismissed as being a flight risk. However as a NS native returning to practice at home, your osgoode background will be looked upon favourably!

Im decently familiar w the York area and you shouldn't have issues living on campus. However if you go off-campus in 2L/3L, keep in mind that GTA rent is leaps and bounds above Halifax.. a 1BR + alcove at Vaughan Corporate/Metro centre (2 subway stops north of YorkU) hovers around 2.5k/month, whereas comparable units in Halifax are mid-high 1k. If you're price sensitive definitely find a roommate or consider living on campus for all 3 years.

As someone who considered Dal due to familial ties in Halifax, I've been told it's better to attend Dal and build a professional network now VS starting from scratch after graduation. Likewise, if you plan to live in the GTA, an oz JD and network opens many doors for you in Ontario. 

Overall think of your goals and work backwards from there! Just remember that Dal is an old and prestigious school in its own right, and Dal grads might even enjoy a "home court" advantage in Halifax compared to their Oz counterparts. but perhaps someone more experienced can speak on this?

• Like 1

LawyerG
  • Law School Admit
9 minutes ago, MintGirly said:

afaik employers are very wary of ON graduates, especially those who lack ties to the maritimes - such candidates are generally dismissed as being a flight risk. However as a NS native returning to practice at home, your osgoode background will be looked upon favourably!

Im decently familiar w the York area and you shouldn't have issues living on campus. However if you go off-campus in 2L/3L, keep in mind that GTA rent is leaps and bounds above Halifax.. a 1BR + alcove at Vaughan Corporate/Metro centre (2 subway stops north of YorkU) hovers around 2.5k/month, whereas comparable units in Halifax are mid-high 1k. If you're price sensitive definitely find a roommate or consider living on campus for all 3 years.

As someone who considered Dal due to familial ties in Halifax, I've been told it's better to attend Dal and build a professional network now VS starting from scratch after graduation. Likewise, if you plan to live in the GTA, an oz JD and network opens many doors for you in Ontario. 

Overall think of your goals and work backwards from there! Just remember that Dal is an old and prestigious school in its own right, and Dal grads might even enjoy a "home court" advantage in Halifax compared to their Oz counterparts. but perhaps someone more experienced can speak on this?

Thank you so much for your answer, I really appreciate it!!

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

Rent is crazy in Halifax?  Have you priced Toronto?  If your long-term goal is to practise in the Maritimes, then I'd lean towards Dal, unless either you want the experience of living in (sort of) Toronto for three years or the value of that scholarship is substantial.

Edited by Dinsdale

LawyerG
  • Law School Admit
Just now, Dinsdale said:

Rent is crazy in Halifax?  Have you priced Toronto?  If your long-term goal is to practise in the Maritimes, then I'd lean towards Dal, unless either you want the experience of living in (sort of) Toronto for three years or that value of that scholarship is substantial.

Thank you! I am looking at rental prices for residence at Osgoode, which seems to be comparable to the clean and safe one bedrooms in Halifax 🙂

stinkysocks123
  • Applicant

AH congrats, could you tell me your stats?!! Oz is my dream school too! 

LawyerG
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, stinkysocks123 said:

AH congrats, could you tell me your stats?!! Oz is my dream school too! 

Thank you so much!! My GPA was 3.85 and my LSAT was 160 🙂 Good luck!!