On campus living Osgoode?

LawyerG

LawyerG
  • Law School Admit

Hi! Any advice would be appreciated! I’ve recently been accepted to Osgoode and I’d love to hear the experiences of current students. I’m from Nova Scotia so I am considering applying to live in Osgoode Chambers. Can anyone who lives there give me an honest take on them? Also how is the social life? I read York is a commuter school so I am wondering if it is isolating. Also do you generally feel safe or unsafe living in the area and being on campus? 

• Like 1

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
On 2/26/2024 at 7:28 PM, LawyerG said:

Hi! Any advice would be appreciated! I’ve recently been accepted to Osgoode and I’d love to hear the experiences of current students. I’m from Nova Scotia so I am considering applying to live in Osgoode Chambers. Can anyone who lives there give me an honest take on them? Also how is the social life? I read York is a commuter school so I am wondering if it is isolating. Also do you generally feel safe or unsafe living in the area and being on campus? 

Hey OP, there's been a number of discussions about Chambers and Passy on the forum before.  I've pulled those together because I suspect they'll answer your base questions.

• Like 1

LawyerG
  • Law School Admit
5 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

Hey OP, there's been a number of discussions about Chambers and Passy on the forum before.  I've pulled those together because I suspect they'll answer your base questions.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do that! It is super helpful and I really appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...
SNAILS
  • Articling Student

You do want to live close to the school, so I highly recommend Osgoode Chambers. There are no safety issues. If you feel unsafe living there, then I'm not sure where in the city you could rent and feel more safe. Also, it's cheaper than other places especially when you consider the cost of travelling. 

As far as social life goes, law students in my experience don't socialize (in my experience) in the sense of going to each other's apartments, getting drunk, and going to the bar. You socialize by having a small friend group at the school with a focus on the common courses that you are doing, studying, and thinking about your future! lol

• Like 1