Should I change my June exam for the one in August?

bettercoleslaw

bettercoleslaw
  • Applicant

I plan on applying to law schools this fall/early next year, to start the degree next fall. I signed up for the June LSAT because my concern was that I might not get the score I want in August, which would really only leave me with the November test to reroll the dice. But I’ve also just barely started studying and due to school I probably won’t be very serious about it until late April; June is also the last LSAT with logic games.

I’m pretty new to all this so I’d appreciate the guidance. I have a math background but the LG has so far been the hardest section for me, while the readings have been OK.

I mean, gauge it by how much progress you're making. I was ok with a couple of months of practice. You might be too. 

Or you might need a lot more time to bring your score up. Point is, take a little to see where you're at and how much improvement you need then make a choice. 

scooter
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, bettercoleslaw said:

I have a math background but the LG has so far been the hardest section for me, while the readings have been OK.

My experience was that LG was my worst section on my diagnostic, but it was also the easiest section to improve. I think this is probably the case for a lot of people. I wouldn't write them off until you sit down and learn to draw the diagrams for different types of games. With practice you see that almost all of the the games fall into a few different categories, and at least 2 out of the 4 games will be extremely simple once you learn to draw useful diagrams.

But if LR ends up being your strongest section, they are replacing the games with more LR

chaboywb
  • Lawyer

Seems like a decision only you can make based on your confidence in LG. Personally, LG was my strongest section, so I would have been putting my eggs in the June LSAT basket. In your position, though, it wouldn't hurt to write both the June and August LSAT. Even if you're likely to do better in August without LG, writing in June first may help you shake test-day jitters.

Edited by chaboywb

Dghoul
  • Applicant

The question ultimately comes down to your skill difference between LG and LR. For most people LG is the worst section at the beginning and the easiest section to improve. Yet, in your case, not being able to study seriously until April may be a problem. Many people requires more than 2 months to fully master LG—as in getting into -0 or -1. A background in math definitely means you are capable to get -1/-0 in LG, yet it also means you may find LR easy. In which case, waiting for Aug and later test might be the way to go.

Keep in mind this comes from someone who spend 70%+ of LSAT prep time on LG and still scores lower on LG than LR. YMMV

• Like 2

bettercoleslaw
  • Applicant

How many tests are scheduled after the one in August? Is it not just November?

tobi
  • Law School Admit
2 minutes ago, bettercoleslaw said:

How many tests are scheduled after the one in August? Is it not just November?

They haven't released the testing dates yet for Aug 2024 onwards but I assume it'll be Sept, Oct, Nov, Jan 2025, Feb 2025, Apr 2025, June 2025. 

• Like 1

goodisgood
  • Law Student

If it's your worst section... simply wait until August 2024 and focus on studying for the other two sections.

Edited by goodisgood
They knew that LG was done in Aug 2024