Housing

bettybluebells

bettybluebells
  • Applicant

Hey does anyone have any advice on how to find roommates (how to find fellow students) and housing in Victoria?

warraeli
  • Law School Admit

I'm wondering the same thing. If you're going to the Dean's open house maybe that could be a good option to meet people within the class that might be looking for roommates as well or weighing up their options

TheDevilIKnow
  • Articling Student

I am known for perhaps being too grim and bitter about all things UVic, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but:

Housing is really grim here in general. Being a smaller city, incoming students may not see media coverage of this, but vacancy is really really low across all linds of housing in the Capital Regional District. Prices are pretty close to Vancouver levels. I was paying $1950 for a 5 bedroom house in Calgary before I came to Vic (I have a family), and am now paying $3800 for a 3 bedroom duplex. Fairly crippling.

Added to this is that there is no clear online platform that is clearly best for finding housing; there is also not really one main "student area" to be hunting in: in my experience, people were sort of scattered all around Southern Saanich, Oak Bay, and various parts of downtown. A few folks even from further still (housing is much cheaper in Langford, but it can be a long commute). Some students even live in residence for 1L, but I believe this is rare.

All this to say: search broadly on UsedVictoria, Facebook Marketplace (yuck, I know),Kijiji, Craigslist, and probably other things I don't know about. 

Your incoming class Facebook group, if they're still doing those, will also have some tips. There is also a "Uvic off campus housing" (name may be slightly off) Facebook group.

All the best!

• Like 3

bettybluebells
  • Applicant
14 hours ago, warraeli said:

I'm wondering the same thing. If you're going to the Dean's open house maybe that could be a good option to meet people within the class that might be looking for roommates as well or weighing up their options

Yea I was thinking about that but can’t get it off work. I guess I was wondering if there was a groupchat or something yet 

GlenCocoLaw
  • Applicant

Hello,

I will be in first year looking for housing with a roommate too. We can probably start finding each other this way 🙂