TRU vs Queens

lunchbox

lunchbox
  • Law School Admit

Hello everyone,

I live in BC and would like to practice here in the future and settle down here. I am not against moving for school if needed. Would it make more sense to go to a school like TRU if accepted, over a school in Ontario like Queens?. TRU is a 3-4 hour drive from where I live currently so I am closer to family and friends, and I heard it makes it easier to build connections etc in your province. Just would like some input if anyone has any.

Thank you.

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

Why are you considering Queens? TRU looks like a way more straightforward option if your goal is to stay in BC. 

lunchbox
  • Law School Admit
2 minutes ago, GoatDuck said:

Why are you considering Queens? TRU looks like a way more straightforward option if your goal is to stay in BC. 

Due to the school's reputation across the country compared to a newer program such as TRU.

Chef Justice
  • Law Student

Most of my friends from BC at Queen's had no problem going back to BC. However, TRU is the more straightforward path if you want to stay in BC.

lunchbox
  • Law School Admit
13 minutes ago, Chef Justice said:

Most of my friends from BC at Queen's had no problem going back to BC. However, TRU is the more straightforward path if you want to stay in BC.

Thank you!

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, lunchbox said:

Due to the school's reputation across the country compared to a newer program such as TRU.

This is not at all a factor if you want to work in BC. Go to TRU so that you not only learn BC law, but also have an opportunity to network with all of the BC-based employers that recruit directly from TRU.

For anyone who wants to work in BC, it generally goes: UBC > UVic > TRU > everywhere else.

lunchbox
  • Law School Admit

Thank you so much this is all I needed to hear.

2 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

This is not at all a factor if you want to work in BC. Go to TRU so that you not only learn BC law, but also have an opportunity to network with all of the BC-based employers that recruit directly from TRU.

For anyone who wants to work in BC, it generally goes: UBC > UVic > TRU > everywhere else.

Thank you!

biffo852
  • Applicant

You should consider the fact that TRU has a very high tuition cost given the fact that it is a program that doesn't receive much funding from the university. 

While studying in BC would give an advantage to working in BC due to networks, out of province students still do very well in BC. For example the 2024 Vancouver 2L recruit numbers indicate that TRU placed 16 students. While Queens placed 8.

While at Queens you will meet a network of people who will largely be based in Ontario but you will also meet more lawyers who will eventually work across the nation. TRU does not have as much national reach.

Furthermore, the BC ministry of attorney general does not necessarily pick students from BC schools, though it's mostly BC schools that apply. The process is open and based upon grades and academic profiles. Queens is in a better position to give you more courses and learning experiences to build your learning profile. 

Queens is a school which has graduated supreme Court justices, judges, a governor general, and leading legal academics.

Also consider your learning experience. The prison law clinic is famous nationwide. Many faculty are leaders in their field. 

Kingston, being a small town, also has a lot more going for it than Kamloops (don't get me wrong I love BC and Kamloops, but the town is incomparable). 

Yes, generally you should go to a school in the province you want to practice. But you need to examine the schools and question if the above adage is an absolute.

Edited by biffo852
  • Like 1

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer
15 hours ago, biffo852 said:

You should consider the fact that TRU has a very high tuition cost given the fact that it is a program that doesn't receive much funding from the university. 

I believe TRU and Queens have very similar tuition 21,000 vs 23,000). The reason TRUs tuition gets discussed as being outrageously expense (beside the objective outrageous expense of almost all law schools) is that the other two schools in the province are atleast 50% cheaper.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
lunchbox
  • Law School Admit
On 3/6/2024 at 3:08 PM, Lawstudents20202020 said:

I believe TRU and Queens have very similar tuition 21,000 vs 23,000). The reason TRUs tuition gets discussed as being outrageously expense (beside the objective outrageous expense of almost all law schools) is that the other two schools in the province are atleast 50% cheaper.

TRU seems like the right fit for me unless Uvic or UBC comes knocking. Thank you for the info!