What if where you article is not your top choice or the area you initially wanted to practice in?

Sureaboutnotbeingsure

Sureaboutnotbeingsure

The title asks the question. I think this question can lead to some helpful discussion to individuals facing this (potential) predicament. If any lawyers out there or articling students fall into this category, what has your experience been like? 

• Like 1

• Lawyer

I think this is part of the reason why most lawyers don't enjoy their work or are neutral towards it. You don't meet too many people that really enjoy their work and are in it for more than good money. Articling at your top choice is far less important than articling in the area of law you want to practice in. People do make lateral moves early in their careers, but since there are so few new call positions out there, and most junior lawyer positions ask for 2+ years of experience, it is important to article in an area of law that is at least somewhat related to what you want to do after and can show transferable skills. Outside of Biglaw, many employers have low hireback rates after articling as well, so the area of law is more important, again.

Reflecting on my graduating class, I would say most people just fell into the area of law they are currently practicing based on where they landed summer and articling positions. This is the norm in this profession and people seem to be ok with it. Most complaints are about working hours and lifestyle as opposed to the area of law.

Homosapiens
  • Lawyer

If you don't want to abandon the position and apply elsewhere, just make the best use of it. Learn as much as you can and monitor opportunities elsewhere.

• Like 1

Conge
  • Lawyer
15 minutes ago, Homosapiens said:

Learn as much as you can and monitor opportunities elsewhere.

This is the way. 

• Like 1

Pendragon
  • Lawyer

Aang is correct. A good example of this is personal injury and insurance defence. You see fewer U of T grads in these practice areas than you do Western, Queen's, and Windsor. This is a reflection of how the law school recruits play out.