osgoode, ottawa, queens, dal

Lararine

Lararine

Hi there, so I am an international applicant (already got my PR up to date)who is lucky enough to receive offers from all these exceptional schools.

Currently, I am leaning toward Osgoode. But still love to gather some advice from wise people here.

Here is some context:

1. I am a licensed lawyer in China(civil litigation), I would like to pursue litigation after graduation(especially crown), also have an interests to explore criminal law. 

2. I saved up enough tuition, and will keep having extra income while studying full time at school, so maybe the cost won‘t be the major factor for making a decision.

3. I want to have a nice campus life(make good friends and interesting activities).

4. I don't really care which city I end up with as long as the salary is decent lol(but please not an ice hole).

😁I have read many threads here, but I think it’s different case by case. your opinion is appreciated!

Edited by Lararine

Scrantonicity2
  • Law Student

All great options! Osgoode campus is nothing to write home about, but as long as you're located strategically along the subway line it is easy to commute to Osgoode from downtown. If you're worried about Canadian winters, I would definitely avoid Ottawa and Dal. Osgoode is your best bet in that regard, followed by Queens.

xiaomaomi
  • Law School Admit

Fantastic outcome! Congratulations!! 

Lararine
On 3/6/2024 at 11:31 AM, Scrantonicity2 said:

All great options! Osgoode campus is nothing to write home about, but as long as you're located strategically along the subway line it is easy to commute to Osgoode from downtown. If you're worried about Canadian winters, I would definitely avoid Ottawa and Dal. Osgoode is your best bet in that regard, followed by Queens.

Sounds legit to me!

Thank you. 😄

But I heard halifax is a warm place overall? How is it end up to be an ice-hole for you?

15 hours ago, xiaomaomi said:

Fantastic outcome! Congratulations!! 

Thank you!

Congratulations to your Osgoode offer as well.

Wish you all the best. 🤗

• Thanks 1

Scrantonicity2
  • Law Student

Haha, well none of these cities are "ice-holes." But Ottawa winters can get very cold. Halifax is quite temperate (it's a coastal city), but they can get a TON of snow.

• Nom! 1

Lararine
9 hours ago, Scrantonicity2 said:

Haha, well none of these cities are "ice-holes." But Ottawa winters can get very cold. Halifax is quite temperate (it's a coastal city), but they can get a TON of snow.

I see what you mean.

As an Osgoode alum(as you seems to be), how do you like your experience there if you don't mind to share.

:D.

like the general vibes, foods, entertainments and etc.

Scrantonicity2
  • Law Student

I had a great experience, but between COVID, clinics, and some other extenuating circumstances, I haven't spent much time on campus. Generally, I found the vibes goood. But I wouldn't call myself a social butterfly, so you might want others to chime in!

Lararine
On 3/8/2024 at 9:59 AM, Scrantonicity2 said:

I had a great experience, but between COVID, clinics, and some other extenuating circumstances, I haven't spent much time on campus. Generally, I found the vibes goood. But I wouldn't call myself a social butterfly, so you might want others to chime in!

Thank you so much!

I'll wait.

Hi! I saw yous posts and just wanna say congrats and a big THANK YOU! for giving me hope.  

A lot of us coming from a legal background will have no choice but to switch from lawyers to paralegal/LAA as the price for moving to a different country, and that's sometimes even the best case scenario. Personally I have not seen a single one of my peers doing well after grinding the NCA process or in getting into top law schools, but your posts will remind me that somewhere, somebody has done it, and that means I can, too! 

Lararine
17 hours ago, Kairo said:

Hi! I saw yous posts and just wanna say congrats and a big THANK YOU! for giving me hope.  

A lot of us coming from a legal background will have no choice but to switch from lawyers to paralegal/LAA as the price for moving to a different country, and that's sometimes even the best case scenario. Personally I have not seen a single one of my peers doing well after grinding the NCA process or in getting into top law schools, but your posts will remind me that somewhere, somebody has done it, and that means I can, too! 

I am so glad my experience will even encourage someone in the world.

It indeed took a lot of courage to even start this circle since I feel I’ve been working in China like forever.

But I guess my spirit of adventure all along exists there which somehow tough me out.

It’s never too late, better to try one‘s best one time instead of regretting it and missing it after the hair turns white.

Vivre à en crever!🤗

• Nom! 1