part-time undergrad

sx786

sx786
  • Applicant

Hi Guys! 

Do law schools care about your undergrad course load? I had to work full-time and had part-time semesters and I am worried this might affect my chances and am starting to consider law school abroad. 

My cgpa is a 3.62 and scored a 167 on the LSAT - I will be applying this year.

Also, I am wondering why there are limited spots for students to complete their JD part-time in Canada?

Any advice is appreciated 

Whist
  • Law Student

Yes, they do care about your course load. They like to see candidates demonstrate they can handle full-time undergrad with good grades, as law school is by and large full-time (although some people still work during the school year in a reduced capacity). It will affect your chances, but I can't say by how much. Don't go to law school abroad if you want to practice in Canada - search the multitude of threads already on the topic for more info. 

There are limited spots for a part-time JD because the legal job hunting scheme is set up for full-time "traditional" students. The system assumes if you don't have family money or significant savings, you can use student loans, a line of credit, and whatever you get from summer work. You can't participate in recruits normally as a part-time JD, and even outside that employers may question why you couldn't handle a JD in three years. Articling and generally legal practice can be demanding. People do practice law part-time, but law can be slow to adapt from the traditional way of doing things.

• Like 1