Chance me: Mature student, LSAT 165, GPA 2.1

uoftearbaby

uoftearbaby
  • Applicant

Graduated from UofT engineering with an extremely low gpa - 2.1 due to mental health issues..

Worked for the govnt, law and justice area, for several years

No paralegal degree

Lots of volunteering and community contributions

LSAT practice test 165

I will apply as a mature student after I get 5 years of professional experience , and I’m okay with any law school in Ontario, as long as they accept me.

What are my chances of being accepted? What LSAT score should I be aiming for? 

Thank you so much and wish you all best of luck!!!’ 

Edited by uoftearbaby

• uoftearbaby changed the title to Chance me: Mature student, LSAT 165, GPA 2.1
SNAILS
  • Articling Student

Your situation is tricky. Normally, I would say you do not have a chance since your GPS' is simply too low. The first thing you need to do is turn that "practice" LSAT into a "real" LSAT score. Many people have diluted themselves into thinking that they'll do better on the LSAT than they actually will based perhaps on one outlier test. If you are scoring like that consistently under timed conditions, then you can fairly assume you'll get a real score like (or better) that eventually even though it might not be your first attempt. 165 is a really good score.

Next, if you can link your low GPA to mental health issues and also show that you have good prospects to be able to do better in the future, you might have a chance as a mature student. An example of this would be if you had a semester of, let's say, 3.6 GPA but you can show some other semesters were low for a specific reason. The later life experience really helps. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but showing that you have suffered anxiety all your life probably won't cut it in this case. Showing that you had an acute condition that you have subsequently dealt with at the time of undergrad might.

Strong reference letters from steady employers will be essential to your application. A holistic school like Windsor may overlook your low GPA.

I truly wish you the best of luck!

• Like 2

uoftearbaby
  • Applicant
12 hours ago, SNAILS said:

Your situation is tricky. Normally, I would say you do not have a chance since your GPS' is simply too low. The first thing you need to do is turn that "practice" LSAT into a "real" LSAT score. Many people have diluted themselves into thinking that they'll do better on the LSAT than they actually will based perhaps on one outlier test. If you are scoring like that consistently under timed conditions, then you can fairly assume you'll get a real score like (or better) that eventually even though it might not be your first attempt. 165 is a really good score.

Next, if you can link your low GPA to mental health issues and also show that you have good prospects to be able to do better in the future, you might have a chance as a mature student. An example of this would be if you had a semester of, let's say, 3.6 GPA but you can show some other semesters were low for a specific reason. The later life experience really helps. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but showing that you have suffered anxiety all your life probably won't cut it in this case. Showing that you had an acute condition that you have subsequently dealt with at the time of undergrad might.

Strong reference letters from steady employers will be essential to your application. A holistic school like Windsor may overlook your low GPA.

I truly wish you the best of luck!

I will definitely do so. Thank you so much for the advice!