Osgoode vs. UofT

lawstudent2024

lawstudent2024
  • Applicant

Interested in Law firm jobs in 2L summer and for articling (Bay st/big law in Toronto). Which of the schools will be better? I know clinical opportunities are better at Osgoode, but was hoping to get insights into how the two compare for corporate law. Am worried about how I will do at both schools. Although UofT has a modified grading scheme, I am worried about because its a more competitive school to get an offer at (in terms of GPA and LSAT), if I should pick Osgoode to have a better chance at being in the top 15-20 percent of my class for the purposes of firm jobs. Thanks everyone for your help

Edited by lawstudent2024

Chef Justice
  • Law Student

UofT is the better law school if you are interested in BigLaw or corporate law in Toronto. Just because an Osgoode class is "less competitive" statistically compared to a UofT class does not automatically mean you would perform better at Osgoode. You should bank on being an average student, and an average UofT student is going to have a much better shot than an average Osgoode student for these positions.

Edited by Chef Justice
  • Like 4

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

Getting top marks at Osgoode will be about as difficult as getting top marks at UofT. If you’re someone who will realistically get top marks anywhere, then you won’t care about marginal differences in how competitive the admission process is for deciding where to attend.

• Like 2

cities1000
  • Law Student

Purely based on recruit statistics, your chances of securing biglaw would be higher at UofT. 

SNAILS
  • Articling Student

As an Osgoode student, I can attest to the fact that there is still a high level of prestige to having attended U of T. The only reasons a student interested in corporate law would choose Osgoode over U of T would be very situational: they live with their parents close Osgoode, their best friend or girlfriend goes to Oz, etc. 

• Like 2