How much will BL firms weigh poor 2L grades when deciding whether to give return offers?

OrangeApples

OrangeApples

for example straight Bs or mix of grades A through C. I've asked around and been given mixed answers, would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Edited by OrangeApples

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

Relax.  You have to do a lot worse than straight B's to lose your presumptive offer.  If you have a C or two, that's not ideal, but it sounds like they are offset by an A or two as well.  Nowhere near bad enough to punt you (for that reason alone).

I presume you mean an offer after 2L to return as an articling student.  These are very hard to screw up.  The last thing your firm wants to do (especially the student director) is take on yet another recruiting project in August, when the real (2L) recruit starts right after Labour Day.  Just do a decent job as a summer student (i.e. no high profile, tragic errors) and you will be fine.

Turtles
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, OrangeApples said:

for example straight Bs or mix of grades A through C. I've asked around and been given mixed answers, would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Depends on the firm whether they'd care at all, let alone care enough to talk to you about it, let alone care enough to actually give up on the sunk cost of everything they already put into you (lawyers' time training you over the summer + salary). Some firms don't even ask for updated grades before sending return offers. Usually, the only real consideration is whether you did something really improper or worrisome that makes them feel the need to cut their losses early. 

Presumably if they had concerns about grades, those concerns can be offset by your summer performance. You are an investment they want ROI on. If the cause of your grade declines leads to remarkably poor performance at the firm, then it's more likely to be material, but even then, performance needs to be really really bad. 

There is one story that gets shared around about a person at a particular seven sisters firm who was allegedly verbally degraded by a student director, in earshot of other students, for their grades having slipped -- being told their grades make them look like they're not "[firm name] material". Take that for what it's worth though.

• Like 1

Jaggers

I don't think any of the big firms pull return offers for pretty much any reason.

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, Jaggers said:

I don't think any of the big firms pull return offers for pretty much any reason.

It has happened.  Has to be an exceptional situation though. Way worse than a C in Evidence.

Edited by Dinsdale

• 4 weeks later...
BHC1
  • Lawyer

One of my classmates failed a class and still went on to article at the firm that they summered with. If you’re just talking a B- average, you’ll be fine. 

easttowest
  • Lawyer
On 3/12/2024 at 6:12 PM, Turtles said:

Depends on the firm whether they'd care at all, let alone care enough to talk to you about it, let alone care enough to actually give up on the sunk cost of everything they already put into you (lawyers' time training you over the summer + salary). Some firms don't even ask for updated grades before sending return offers. Usually, the only real consideration is whether you did something really improper or worrisome that makes them feel the need to cut their losses early. 

Presumably if they had concerns about grades, those concerns can be offset by your summer performance. You are an investment they want ROI on. If the cause of your grade declines leads to remarkably poor performance at the firm, then it's more likely to be material, but even then, performance needs to be really really bad. 

There is one story that gets shared around about a person at a particular seven sisters firm who was allegedly verbally degraded by a student director, in earshot of other students, for their grades having slipped -- being told their grades make them look like they're not "[firm name] material". Take that for what it's worth though.

This must be a new story. I hadn’t heard it before!