Best LSAT Practice Materials?

uprightpole

uprightpole
  • Applicant

I'm writing my LSAT in June and I have seen a lot of mixed reviews on many different websites/books.

I noticed to get a subscription on 7Sage ($69/month), you need an LSAC LSAT LawHub Advantage Plan ($115/year). Is this worth it?

I've seen mixed reviews on LSAT Demon as well - is it worth paying for?

As for books, I've heard The Loophole is good, as well as the Powerscore books. Thoughts? 

Any other suggestions for websites and/or books I can purchase to enhance my chances of scoring a 160+ would be greatly appreciated!! 

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit
43 minutes ago, uprightpole said:

7Sage ($69/month), you need an LSAC LSAT LawHub Advantage Plan ($115/year)

Unfortunately, this is as cheap as it gets as far as solid test prep services go. You can apply for LSAC fee waivers if I remember correctly, and these can be used to reduce your monthly and annual subscriptions to these services. I wish I had gone this route. 

If you're looking for a good budget option that I enjoyed using for LR, I'd check out AdeptLR.

You'll still need to pay the LawHub Advantage Plan for access to the tests, but I liked AdeptLR since it tailored questions to your weak points. It also offered LG and RC, but these were my two strongest sections, so I did not really use it for these sections. 

I've seen mixed reviews on LSAT Demon as well - is it worth paying for?

7Sage is better in terms of cost and content. 

As for books, I've heard The Loophole is good, as well as the Powerscore books. Thoughts? 

Loophole is great. I found the powerful/provable dichotomy helpful when starting out on LR. However, I'd still recommend learning basic conditional logic. Powerscore books can provide this to you. 

Edited by MyWifesBoyfriend

Renerik
  • Law Student
18 minutes ago, uprightpole said:

LSAC LSAT LawHub Advantage Plan

If you only buy one thing, LawHub is the best bang for your buck. It gives you access to ~100 old official LSATs and is a prerequisite to getting a subscription to 7Sage or LSAT Demon. I strongly recommend everyone sign up for LawHub.

I took the LSAT in 2021 so these resources might be different now, but I did use all of them at least in some capacity:

• Khan Academy - Excellent value (because it's free). Downsides are that it's limited in scope, doesn't go as in-depth as the other resources, is inferior to 7Sage, and spoils some questions that you might see on practice exams as they sample their examples from a random splattering of former LSATs.
  • 7Sage - The gold standard, and not that expensive relative to law school. Unlike Khan Academy the questions it uses as concept examples all come from the oldest LSATs (#1-35 IIRC) so there are no spoilers for prep tests you'll take later on. The instruction is good, clear, and most of the time comprehensive (some of the answer explanations left me a little confused.
  • LSAT Demon - A more expensive, less clear, version of 7Sage. Their podcast was decent during the Covid era. Some people like their software which identifies practice problem types that you're worse at, but I found it gimmicky - you will be able to tell on your own what questions you're weaker at.
  • Powerscore & Kaplan - You can find these for pretty cheap online, but IMO not worth it. More expensive than Khan Academy and less comprehensive than 7Sage or LSAT Demon.
  • LSAT Trainer - Same issue as Powerscore & Kaplan, but cheaper and a bit better quality.
  • Loophole - The problem with Loophole is that it only covers LR. Should just get 7Sage.
  • Adept LR - I used this when it was fairly new, I'm pretty sure I was one of their first users. It wasn't worth the price and was gimmicky. They have a similar algorythm to LSAT Demon which gives you questions that you're weaker at.

If you have 350$ for LSAT prep, LawHub + 3 months of 7Sage is my recommendation.

• Like 2

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Just because nobody has mentioned it: if you haven’t already, you should write a diagnostic LSAT under timed conditions to confirm whether you need to study at all. 

A lot of people do not need to study for the LSAT, and it would be annoying to spend several hundred dollars to play some logic games if you don’t need to. 

• Like 3