Currently in a Post-Grad Certificate Program- Impact on Law School Offer if I Withdraw?

mc02

Hi everyone,

I'd love some input here if you guys don't mind. I graduated from my undergrad in spring 2023. I. decided that starting September 2023, while I worked on applications to law school, I would complete a post-graduate certificate at Humber College in a field I was interested in, so I was still learning and doing stuff in my year off., and had a backup if law was not in the cards for me. The program is 1.5 years, with the last part of it being a summer placement.

Through doing the program, I've realized that job market is extremely tough right now, with minimal job prospects, and although the summer placement is a requirement, the school offers virtually no support.

Very thankfully, I got accepted to Lakeheads Faculty of Law starting this September. They have indicated to me that, luckily, my offer is not conditional on anything else. This indicates to me they did not consider any marks/transcripts I uploaded for this program. I want to be clear: the Humber College program is not competitive at all, and had virtually no barrier to entry other than possession of a Bachelor's degree.

Here is my fear: I am waiting for acceptances from other Ontario schools (and some out of province), and I am not sure whether there is a difference in how they work and if my offer will be conditional on me completing this program.

I'm considering withdrawing/halting/ whatever I need to do for the summer placement term simply because it would occupy my whole summer right before law school with most likely, unpaid work, in a field I will not pursue in the future. However, I don't want to assume I am doing that, and then get an offer from another school that requires completion of the program and now I haven't set myself up accordingly.v

If completion of the program is required for any other potential offers , I will have to continue working right now to hopefully secure a placement for the summer.

Whew. Sorry for the long winded post. But if anyone has any knowledge about this stuff I'd love some advice on how to proceed!

Thanks everyone :)

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

School generally don’t care about non-degree post grad programs and I’d be very surprised if your acceptances were conditional on completing the program you’re in. I’d just drop out and have some fun this summer.

Yeah you are fine to drop it. In fact, I think you've got the right idea. Use your summer to relax.