Does doing a secondment during articling impact hireback?

newbie99

newbie99
  • Law Student

I am interested in doing a secondment in my articling year with this huge company and think it would be an amazing experience. Given that articling is the time that partners and associates watch your work very closely to determine if they will hire you back or not will it be self-sabotaging to do a secondment?

chaboywb
  • Lawyer

It very much depends and I don't think there's an easy answer. If you already have a great reputation and have formed strong connections with the group you hope to hired back into, then it'll probably be fine. If you are still trying to form those connections, the secondment might take away valuable time that could be spent rubbing shoulders with the lawyers that you need to impress. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

Agree with above.  Another factor could be: how important is the client to which you are going to be seconded?  Does the responsible partner at the firm know about you and support the secondment?