Windsor vs TRU

DennyCrane

DennyCrane
  • Undergrad

I've been accepted into both and waiting on a couple other schools. I live in Ontario and will likely practice in Ontario but I have zero qualms moving outside the province if it's a better program/school (either way, I'm moving out from home and they're both far). I'm unsure what area of law I'm interested in but leaning towards IP/entertainment law. Which school between the two offers stronger opportunities and what's the better town to live in, Kamloops or Windsor?

Thanks,

Edited by DennyCrane

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

Are you admitted into the single JD at Windsor? If so, then there’s no point in picking TRU. TRU’s program is fine for Western Canada but you’re almost certainly better off attending Windsor if your goal is to practice in Ontario. If it’s Windsor dual, then the decision is a bit more difficult because the program cost is so high. I would probably attend TRU in that case and work my but off to network in Ontario. 

• Like 2

LMP
  • Articling Student

Yeah, do Windsor unless it is dual. You'll be better positioned for opportunities in Ontario and I think it's actually cheaper to go to Windsor. 

• Like 1

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer
16 hours ago, DennyCrane said:

what's the better town to live in, Kamloops or Windsor?

LOL!  You're not seriously asking that question, are you?  I agree that U. of Windsor is likely the better choice if you plan to practice in Ontario, but a law school located under the Ambassador Bridge is not quite the same thing as one in the majestic Rocky Mountains.

• Like 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

To be fair, Kamloops is decidedly not in the Rocky Mountains. 

But it is also a decidedly better place to live than Windsor.

• Like 1

DennyCrane
  • Undergrad
On 3/15/2024 at 6:27 PM, GoatDuck said:

Are you admitted into the single JD at Windsor? If so, then there’s no point in picking TRU. TRU’s program is fine for Western Canada but you’re almost certainly better off attending Windsor if your goal is to practice in Ontario. If it’s Windsor dual, then the decision is a bit more difficult because the program cost is so high. I would probably attend TRU in that case and work my but off to network in Ontario. 

Single JD, thanks for the advice!