Do undergrad grades matter for 1L recruit?

fairyprincesslawyer

fairyprincesslawyer
  • Applicant

Hello!
I'm finishing up my undergrad and hoping to start law school in the fall. I don't know much about how to secure a job the summer after 1L, so I was looking for advice on how that process works and if your undergraduate grades matter? Thanks so much!!

Firms might sometimes call out a particular grade, plenty of people have stories where they were asked to justify a mark. 

Personally, it never came up for me, neither positively or negatively. 

Overall your grades are looked at but the defining factor is always going to be your law school grades. 

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer

Didn't impact me, and I had a pretty bad cGPA in undergrad.

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

Are you in Ontario? As I recall the Calgary 1L recruit happens before any law school grades are available.

GoatDuck
  • Law Student
28 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

As I recall the Calgary 1L recruit happens before any law school grades are available.

Law school grades are available for the 1L Calgary recruit. The 1L Calgary recruit application deadline this year was January 29, five days after the 1L Toronto recruit deadline.  

• 3 weeks later...
washedballer
  • Law Student

FWIW I landed an Edmonton 1l job this summer and had very mediocre undergrad grades, and much better midterm grades. One firm asked what happened in a particular course, I explained and they never mentioned it further. Ended up accepting an offer with that firm. I wouldn't stress it much if they were good enough to get you into law school. 

PapaPetrovitch
  • Law Student

For the Toronto 1L Recruit, we were asked to upload our official undergrad transcripts. But the main focus will likely be on your 1L midterm grades, as those speak more to your current abilities.