Waitlisted - Give Up?

Sunny Days

Sunny Days
  • Law School Admit

Hi Everyone, 

I'm looking for some advice. I was waitlisted at UO at the end of June. Should I prepare for the next application cycle (i.e. prepare to retake the LSAT and up my score) or should I hold out until the end of August/beginning of September? I know this application cycle is different, but I know in the past UO has accepted off the waitlist up until the first of week of school. I'm just wondering what I should do. 

Thanks! 

PlayALawyerOnTV
  • Law Student

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. 

I know that there's been recent movement on the waitlist at Ottawa and a few other Ontario schools in the last week or so. Maybe that continues, maybe it doesn't, but there's not way to be sure from the outside. I wouldn't give up hope if I were in your shoes.

At the same time I'd also start making some contingency plans in case there isn't any further waitlist movement. If that means starting to study for an LSAT rewrite, then might as well get the ball rolling now.

• Like 1

Sunny Days
  • Law School Admit

@PlayALawyerOnTV Out of curiosity, do you know how much movement there's been from Ottawa? I just wonder because no one has posted in the accepted thread. 

PlayALawyerOnTV
  • Law Student

I know one person who was accepted off the waitlist in late July / early August. Not sure if there's been movement beyond that.

44 minutes ago, BelLaw said:

Hi Everyone, 

I'm looking for some advice. I was waitlisted at UO at the end of June. Should I prepare for the next application cycle (i.e. prepare to retake the LSAT and up my score) or should I hold out until the end of August/beginning of September? I know this application cycle is different, but I know in the past UO has accepted off the waitlist up until the first of week of school. I'm just wondering what I should do. 

Thanks! 

Your GPA is good. 153 LSAT is weak. Wait till Sept and consider hiring a private tutor

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BelLaw said:

@PlayALawyerOnTV Out of curiosity, do you know how much movement there's been from Ottawa? I just wonder because no one has posted in the accepted thread. 

Can you go to Ottawa in a short notice

Sunny Days
  • Law School Admit

@luckycharm yes I'm willing to do whatever it takes. From my understanding Ottawa also has an online option for the fall term so I would be willing to do that as well if need be. 

43 minutes ago, BelLaw said:

@luckycharm yes I'm willing to do whatever it takes. From my understanding Ottawa also has an online option for the fall term so I would be willing to do that as well if need be. 

One of my classmate was accepted after the first day of class but she went to Ottawa undergrat.

• Like 1

Diplock
  • Lawyer

A wait list is simply that - a wait list. A school has x spots in their class. If they lose someone close to the start of class, or even immediately after the start of class, someone else will get the spot. They won't leave it empty. They also aren't creating new spots. So the question depends entirely on the odds of someone dropping, and of you being close enough to the top of the list for that spot to fall to you. I say "close enough" because at this point there are probably people on the wait list who don't want it anymore, but also a lot who do.

So, is it possible that a spot might still open up? Of course it's possible. Speculating if they'll offer it to someone with a particular LSAT score or someone from Ottawa is ridiculous. The list is already in order, based on however they assessed your application. They'll offer it to the first person on the list, then the second, etc. It's not impossible, and you can only help yourself by at least maintaining yourself in a position where you could still go if offered. But given the timing, it's certainly unlikely at this point.