Post-Articling Jobs - When to Apply?

Billy

Billy
  • Applicant

Hello all! Articling is coming to an end in a month or so for me and will be called to the Bar in June. I wanted to get input from you guys on when would one typically apply for first-year associate positions. The reason that I am asking is that I am highly unsatisfied with the firm I'm currently articling at so I wanted to know when would it be best to apply for a new job.

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

It's never a bad time to start networking to try to discover potential openings, and firms are probably starting to think about their associate needs for the fall around this time.  But most big firms are going to tell you "it's too early to know our first year associate openings, if any, until we place our own articling students into practice groups and see how they are doing".  Not quite sure what you intend to "apply" for otherwise; unsolicited applications for non-existent positions rarely work.  If a position is advertised or you become aware of one through networking, then apply.

• Like 3

LMP
  • Articling Student

To clarify, do you have a hireback offer and you're just looking to get out as soon as you can? 

Billy
  • Applicant
19 hours ago, LMP said:

To clarify, do you have a hireback offer and you're just looking to get out as soon as you can? 

I don't have a hireback offer possibly just yet, but even if I did, I don't see myself working here. I'm getting out for other reasons so I have been looking for quite a while now but have not been applying. I guess when I apply now, I would have to indicate that I will be called to the bar in June. 

• Like 1

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

If you're definitely not going to accept a hireback offer you should withdraw your name.

Billy
  • Applicant
4 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

If you're definitely not going to accept a hireback offer you should withdraw your name.

Withdraw my name from what? 

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Billy said:

Withdraw my name from what? 

I assume they are suggesting from being considered for hireback at your current firm so that someone else might get that shot but ultimately it's your call. There's nothing obligating you to do that though it would probably be a courtesy to the firm and another student that might have been a step behind you on a depth chart.

• Like 1

LMP
  • Articling Student

If there's no hireback forthcoming than start looking now. No point delaying.