Commuting to lower mainland

leftphalange

leftphalange
  • Law School Admit

Just wondering - does anyone studying in UVic commute to lower mainland regularly?

Not talking about daily of course.  How about visiting once a week or every other week? 

Anyone having family / partners back in lower mainland and doing that?  How's the experience like?

• Like 1

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

Do you own a car?  How do you feel about tiny airplanes with large pontoons (and do you have lots of disposable income)?  If no, i believe the only method is bus/ferry/bus, about a four-hour trip if all goes well.

AllWellAndGood
  • Lawyer

I went to UVIC a few years ago and I distinctly remember the "Thursday ferry" crews. Since there were rarely classes on Fridays, usually students would carshare and drive over to Vancouver Thursday nights, five to a car, and split the ferry costs. It was an informal thing I wasn't a part of but there was a bunch of groups doing it.

• Like 2

leftphalange
  • Law School Admit
15 hours ago, AllWellAndGood said:

I went to UVIC a few years ago and I distinctly remember the "Thursday ferry" crews. Since there were rarely classes on Fridays, usually students would carshare and drive over to Vancouver Thursday nights, five to a car, and split the ferry costs. It was an informal thing I wasn't a part of but there was a bunch of groups doing it.

I certainly hope that weekend travels to Vancouver is feasible and doable.

cjs
  • Law Student

I go to Vancouver pretty often - usually 1-4 weekends a month.  If you can schedule your classes Mon-thurs it’s not too bad.  Harbour air gives you 50% off standby when you’re a student.  Can drive, but the ferry adds up quick if you’re crossing 8x a month.  You can take the city bus to Swartz Bay, then transit again on the other side.  There’s also the BC Ferries Connector bus which is like $80 one way and takes you from downtown Vic to downtown Van (includes ferry fare).  There’s also Island Link Bus that takes you from Vic to Nanaimo (Departure Bay) for $40 then you can walk on to the ferry (BC Ferries) to Horseshoe Bay ($20) or take the Hulu passenger ferry ($30-60) to downtown Van.  Hope this is helpful!

Edited by cjs
  • Like 1