LSAT changes - Advice wanted

Guiltyascharged44

Guiltyascharged44
  • Undergrad

Hi everyone!

I am applying for law school for fall 2025 and have yet to write my LSAT. For some context, I have a decent cGPA (3.98/4.0) and studied for a period of about three weeks consistently last year and was able to score a 163 on a practice test. Im hoping to go to UBC or UofT.

Should I write the LSAT in June with a month and a half of intensive studying (April-June) to take advantage of the logic games section which from my understanding is the most learnable section, or wait until August and write the version of the test with 2 LR sections?

My concern is that:

A.) I will write in August and be at a disadvantage competing for admissions against people who were able to take the test when the logic games section portion was still used

or B.) Write in June with a potentially unreasonable study timeline (is a month and a half enough?) and I will have to re write in August and wasted so much time studying for a section that would then be non-existent

I should also note that due to other circumstances I will be unable to re-write after the August test.

I know there is no clear answer to this question but would appreciate your opinions/experience! Thank you.

Spinnaker
  • Law School Admit

A month and a half is enough time to improve your score from 163 to a high 160s or even a 170+ if you managed to get a 163 with only 3 weeks of studying. Your GPA is near-perfect so with a high 160s LSAT you're practically guaranteed admission to either school. 

Point A doesn't seem valid since schools won't care about the date of your LSAT administration, as long as it is ideally before January. Schools won't care if you took the old or new version. 

Especially if August would be your last chance to write it due to your personal reasons as stated, absolutely take it in June so if you don't get the score you want, you have a backup in August.

Dghoul
  • Applicant

If you can't write after August, take the June test.

The LG section is the most learnable section, yes. Yet that is not purely because it is easier to get a perfect score, it's also because most people have never done anything similar before so they score miserably from the start. It took me over an hour to finish my first "diagnostic" LG section as I had no idea I should use pen and paper. For most, after some study, (like a month and a half) the performance difference between LG and LR might not be significant. So don't overthink it.

But having a chance to rewrite is important. Merely knowing there's a chance to rewrite can make a major mental difference.

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
6 hours ago, Guiltyascharged44 said:

For some context, I have a decent cGPA (3.98/4.0)

Oof, only a 3.98? I don’t know, that one course dragging you down by 0.02 is probably fatal…

Obvious jokes aside, because your GPA is nearly perfect and not “decent” (which I think you know), you need to just write the LSAT. Sign up to write both. Whether you’re better off writing the test with or without LG depends on your own natural LSAT ability and cannot be predicted beyond that. But a 163+ will probably get you in everywhere so don’t worry too much.

• LOL 1