Robson Hall (UManitoba) vs Dal

penguanniecee04

penguanniecee04
  • Applicant

Hi. I’ve been accepted to both and I am torn. 

To be completely honest, my attraction to Dal are the following: (a) allows me to experience out of province schooling as I didn’t go away for my undergrad and (b) it ranks much higher than UofM. However, I am deterred by the triple cost of schooling should I decide to go there and not sure if an and b are truly worth that. 

I intend to focus on crim and immigration. My father is a lawyer and has a law firm in Manitoba which I will be working for after school and the hope is that eventually I take over. 

I’m not sure if going to Dal will be giving me an “edge” working in Manitoba. Thoughts? 

I am attracted to UofM particularly because of the Law Journal (I was previous editor in chief for my university journal and have a passion for writing so this is something I want to be involved in). Apparently it’s renowned Canada-wide. 

Looking for some really honest and helpful opinions. Thank you! 

Mal
  • Lawyer

The rankings are essentially meaningless, both of these are good law schools that will offer a substantially similar education. Manitoba will have an edge over Dalhousie in Manitoba, not the other way around. This is due to the practical of being physically present and the alumni presence.

As far as going out of province, that is a subjective benefit. But given your focus on crim and immigration which do not historically pay well at first, I'd suggest avoiding unnecessary cost for lifestyle. 

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

Dal won’t give you advantages for working in Manitoba over UofM. The only justifiable reason for you to go to Dal given your goal to practice in Manitoba is the personal fulfilment you’ll get out of living in a different province. I personally think that it is important to experience what it’s like living far away from your family/province at least once in your life. But that’s what it comes down to. 

• Like 2

Conge
  • Lawyer
59 minutes ago, penguanniecee04 said:

Hi. I’ve been accepted to both and I am torn. 

To be completely honest, my attraction to Dal are the following: (a) allows me to experience out of province schooling as I didn’t go away for my undergrad and (b) it ranks much higher than UofM. However, I am deterred by the triple cost of schooling should I decide to go there and not sure if an and b are truly worth that. 

I intend to focus on crim and immigration. My father is a lawyer and has a law firm in Manitoba which I will be working for after school and the hope is that eventually I take over. 

I’m not sure if going to Dal will be giving me an “edge” working in Manitoba. Thoughts? 

I am attracted to UofM particularly because of the Law Journal (I was previous editor in chief for my university journal and have a passion for writing so this is something I want to be involved in). Apparently it’s renowned Canada-wide. 

Looking for some really honest and helpful opinions. Thank you! 

I don't mean to be snarky, but the only relevant thing to mentioned (to me) is the "triple the cost" comment.

If you intend to work in MB, I'd 100% go to UofM.

If you don't know, Dal might be a better choice, but a better choice at 3x the cost? I dunno. There would have to be a compelling reason to take on that kind of debt. 

penguanniecee04
  • Applicant

Thank you @Mal @Conge @GoatDuck. You’ve all made very good points. I believe Robson does offer students the opportunity to do exchange so I may get my out of province experience that way. 

Taking on more debt than necessary is really not something I am very excited about. 

I am glad to hear that rankings are basically meaningless and the networking of studying in the province I want to work should be a big deciding factor. 

Thanks again!