Ottawa vs. Queens

futurelawyerseekingadvice

• Law School Admit

Still debating down to the last few days it seems but I would love to get some input!

I’m leaning more towards Queens, but they both seem like great schools.

I am not sure what kind of law I’m most interested to study but I have a polisci background from university.

Community is really important to me, and I would love to experience a close knit community where I go to school.

Another thing I would like to prioritize is experiential learning. I would love to participate in clinics or do legal (or non-legal) work on or off campus.

I’ve been to both welcome days and I found Queen’s to be a slightly better school, but I loved the city of Ottawa- so I’m split between a good school vs. a good city (with also a good school).

My concern with Queens is whether I would be confined to working in Kingston after I graduate, or whether I would be able to find work in other cities.

Also, how do courses compare between the two schools? Does Queens (or Ottawa) provide many opportunities to focus on different types of law?

If there’s any one attending these schools currently that would like to give me more advice, please let me know, I would love the chance to connect with you.

Thank you for any input!

Edited by futurelawyerseekingadvice

You certainly won't be limited to Kingston jobs if you go to Queens. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
HotJudgeSundae
  • Law Student

I was also between ottawa and queens in my cycle, and went with queens. 
queens has a smaller class size so there’s students in each class, which makes everything feel more intimate. 
due to our proximity to Toronto, and being ranked as a strong school, most graduates have no trouble finding work in Toronto. That being said I also have friends who are working in Ottawa and other provinces. I’d say very few stay in kingston.

kingston is also an amazing community and town. Restaurant capital of Ontario or something, and can confirm the restaurants are great! 
it’s also smaller so getting around is easy. It almost feels like one big campus lol

of course I’m bias as I ended up at queens but I’d say you’ll be getting a good community AND a good city with queens

• 2 weeks later...
  • Law School Admit
On 4/8/2024 at 9:57 AM, HotJudgeSundae said:

I was also between ottawa and queens in my cycle, and went with queens. 

That's awesome! Thank you so much for your input! I ended up going with Queen's and I'm confident I made the right choice. Would you have any tips on finding housing/ roommates near campus?