UofT vs Osgoode Culture

hihihi

hihihi
  • Undergrad

Hi everyone,

Sorry for another Osgoode vs UofT post. I'm interested in hearing about differences in campus culture and community between the two schools.

I know UofT has better OCI placement rates, while Osgoode has more clinics/social justice opportunities. I have an interest in Big Law but am not deadset on it - this means I'm uncertain whether I should go to UofT for a stronger chance in Big Law, or go to Osgoode for better opportunities in other areas.

Since both schools offer excellent career prospects, I wanted to get more information on the school community. I've heard the two schools have a distinct culture, is this true? I value having a supportive community where it'll be easy to make tight-knit friends.

I'd be grateful for any advice and information!

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

I’ve found UofT to be fairly cliquey, which is bad. But I’m also not the most social duck so it might be on me. 

I’ve also found UofT to be very corporate conservative, which is good (if you’re into that sort of stuff). Most people answer the “why law” question with “I want that money!” Finding someone who says they want to do public interest is an exception. This is to say that there is no moral police roaming the halls, and people generally seem chill. Most people are budgeting for buying another spine down the road. 

Edited by GoatDuck
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

As you'd expect from a school as big as Osgoode, you get a mixed bag. That can be good and bad. You'll find plenty of people you really like, but also some people who will probably piss you off. 

In a way I think that's true of any school, but I really think Osgoode is great at creating niches. 

• Like 2

Turtles
  • Law Student

Don't make a decision based on subjective reports about some marginal, intangible differences that may not even exist, let alone ever have a material impact on your experience.

Go to Osgoode if you appreciate every "course" being recorded / limited-to-no attendance requirements, or if you already live nearby.

Go to UofT otherwise.

Solved it for you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turtles said:

Don't make a decision based on subjective reports about some marginal, intangible differences that may not even exist, let alone ever have a material impact on your experience.

Go to Osgoode if you appreciate every "course" being recorded / limited-to-no attendance requirements, or if you already live nearby.

Go to UofT otherwise.

Solved it for you.

Not everyone can live as you do. Though I'll admit it is really nice to cruise for the last year and a half.