Articling student experience in corporate

syh-0120

syh-0120
  • Law Student

I'm about to start my articling in big law soon. I want to work in corporate eventually, but I heard things have generally been slow in corporate and not much work goes around compared to litigation. I feel a little anxious about connecting with the right partners and getting work against my peers - more so because I am not as socially outward or enjoy after-hour parties and I feel like making connections is how people get a streamline of work in corporate. I'll try my best to stay generally friendly and drama free to do good work but wanted some insight on the best way to navigate an articling year.

LMP
  • Articling Student

Does your firm not do a rotation? Working with the folks in a practice group is better than any event based networking. 

syh-0120
  • Law Student

Fortunately they do - but a significant number of my cohort want to do corporate so hiring back to corporate groups has historically always fallen short. 

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

On your first day in the corporate rotation, visit some lawyers in their offices.  Assuming they are not on the phone, knock on the door and say "I know you're busy, so I don't want to take up a lot of your time, but I just wanted to introduce myself [insert name here] and say I'm interested in corporate law and would like to get involved in anything you're working on at the moment, if possible".  You will get work.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 4

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

On your first day in the corporate rotation, visit some lawyers in their offices.  Assuming they are not on the phone, knock on the door and say "I know you're busy, so I don't want to take up a lot of your time, but I just wanted to introduce myself [insert name here] and say I'm interested in corporate law and would like to get involved in anything you're working on at the moment, if possible".  You will get work.

To add to this slightly - ALWAYS carry a notebook + pen when walking into a lawyers' office.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

PzabbytheLawyer
  • Lawyer
32 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

To add to this slightly - ALWAYS carry a notebook + pen when walking into a lawyers' office.

Laptop can work too (though it depends on the lawyer).

Do not rely on your phone for notes.

GoatDuck
  • Law Student
54 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

Other than to write down verbatim the lawyer’s instructions on an assignment (including unfamiliar terms etc), is there any other reason to bring a notebook? 

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, GoatDuck said:

Other than to write down verbatim the lawyer’s instructions on an assignment (including unfamiliar terms etc), is there any other reason to bring a notebook? 

Huh?  No, of course not. Are you suggesting OP should record the conversation on their phone?

The point is that a social introduction may turn into "now that you mention it, there is something you can help me with ...".  In fact, that is what OP should be hoping for.  So a notepad is essential.  Thought that was assumed but always a good reminder for new students.  You can't possibly type fast enough into your phone.

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
7 hours ago, PzabbytheLawyer said:

Laptop can work too (though it depends on the lawyer).

Do not rely on your phone for notes.

Regarding phones, for soon to be articling students:

DO NOT TAKE NOTES ON A PERSONAL DEVICE.

• Like 1

PzabbytheLawyer
  • Lawyer
7 hours ago, canuckfanatic said:

Regarding phones, for soon to be articling students:

DO NOT TAKE NOTES ON A PERSONAL DEVICE.

That too, I figured it was obvious.

But even your work phone. Some lawyers don't care, but it comes across as unprofessional to look down at your phone in a meeting, regardless of what you're doing with it.

• Like 1

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, PzabbytheLawyer said:

That too, I figured it was obvious.

Ya never know 🤷🏾

A student at my previous firm uploaded privileged documents to some random free PDF editing website because they couldn't find Acrobat Pro on their laptop (we had a different PDF software).

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Sad 1

PzabbytheLawyer
  • Lawyer
59 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

Ya never know 🤷🏾t

student at my previous firm uploaded privileged documents to some random free PDF editing website because they didn't realize their laptop had Adobe Acrobat Pro.

I've made stupid mistakes in my career (we all have), but privilege is something I've never messed around with. I'm genuinely surprised.

• Like 1