Need help " missing info"

prelaw

prelaw
  • Applicant

Hello, 

This is my first time applying, and I received an email from Ryerson law stating that they couldn't proceed with my application because information was missing latest day to write the LSAT was jan 2024. I did write it on the last test date, and I got wait listed at Windsor hence I was super confused on what happened. 

I think the mistake that I did make was that I wrote the LSAT writing part on Jan 31st, and when 12 hit it changed to the 1st. I genuinely didn't realize the lsat writing had to be written in Jan as well. 

I worked so hard on my application and I don't know what to do. Is it work me talking to admissions? I know I had a good shot if they had looked at my application, I am a mature student and hence feel awful that I just wasted a cycle on an honest mistake. 

scooter
  • Law Student

You've got nothing to lose at this point. Odds are slim but you might as well reach out and see what happens

Edit to add: Just want to say that for you to have any chance, you need to be 100% honest. "I was doing the LSAT writing on Jan 31 at midnight" and "I honestly didn't know it had to be completed by Jan 31" makes it seem like you are lying. Not saying you are, but it doesn't sound great.

Edited by scooter

prelaw
  • Applicant
Posted (edited)

What do you think I should say because the lsat writing was recorded on file for Feb 1st, I genuinely didn't know it had to be written in Jan. I can say I didn't know do you think that would help? 

Edited by prelaw

BHC1
  • Lawyer

If you’re serious about becoming a lawyer, now is as good a time as any to start learning how to advocate for yourself. My suggestion to you would be to contact the affected schools during business hours and make the correction, politely and promptly. There’s nothing wrong with correcting honest mistakes - especially one like this one which is more of an administrative clarification.

Also, try to explain the situation a bit more thoroughly than you did here. I had to look up the current LSAT writing rules (it’s pretty neat how flexible LSAC has become compared to back in the day) so I could even understand what your problem was.

Good luck. 

tobi
  • Law School Admit

The LSAT writing doesn't have to be written in January for your January test take. You can write it even months after January - the only caveat is the score won't be released to schools until the LSAT writing is finished. The LSAT writing takes a day or so to be approved within LSAC's system and then it'll allow your score to be released. So maybe, what I think happened is when LASL/TMU pulled the LSAT scores of their applicants, yours weren't included because your score came up a bit later in LSAC's system. 

I think it's worth you talking to admissions. Just explain the situation to them as best as you can and ask them if they can pull your score again. What's working against you is that they probably saw your file wasn't complete (due to no LSAT score on file) and they possibly moved on to the next candidates (they should have attempted to pull your score at this point). Anyways, shoot them an email outlining your situation very clearly and ask what they can do for you.

We don't specifically know how LASL does their admission process since they are the newest law school in Ontario so we can't really pinpoint what they'll do for you now that this happened. 

SpaceTigerX

So, you need to take this a major lesson learned and apply it moving forward.

The problem here is, that you should have known. In the Official LSAT Score section, it clearly outlines in box with an exclamation point that "The LSAT must be written in January 2024 at the latest, including LSAT Writing.". Which is what they will most likely tell you when you reach out to them. Also, since they are reviewing multiple aspects of your application - someone somewhere might notice that you didn't submit everything in time.

You're going into a field where missing deadlines can have serious consequences. You can't just say I didn't know. 

Before you reach out to them, you need to be prepared to explain why you didn't know that was the deadline? You might be able to call them or email and they may say okay fine, you got the rest of your documents in 5 months ago, you wrote the LSAT on date X, you're 20 seconds late... okay fine . Or you might have to fight to get your application looked at, so you need to be prepared. 

Edited by SpaceTigerX

tobi
  • Law School Admit
3 hours ago, SpaceTigerX said:

The problem here is, that you should have known. In the Official LSAT Score section, it clearly outlines in box with an exclamation point that "The LSAT must be written in January 2024 at the latest, including LSAT Writing.". Which is what they will most likely tell you when you reach out to them. Also, since they are reviewing multiple aspects of your application - someone somewhere might notice that you didn't submit everything in time.

I stand corrected. LASL does specify when you have to have done the LSAT writing. I just checked LASL's admissions page to see what it says about LSAT writing and this user is right.

https://www.torontomu.ca/law/admissions/application-requirements/#!accordion-1564671899177-official-lsat-score under Official LSAT Score, it states here:

"To apply to enter the program in Fall 2024, it is strongly recommended that the LSAT is written by November 2023. The LSAT must be written in January 2024 at the latest, including LSAT Writing. LSAT scores for the past 5 years may be used (i.e., back to, and including, June 2019)."

They did let you know on their admission requirements page. Good luck, OP. Hope LASL gets back to you.

Edited by tobi