UManitoba(Robson) vs Queens

penguanniecee04

penguanniecee04
  • Applicant

I just got accepted to Queens today. I was previously debating between Dal and Robson, I crossed off Dal because of how expensive it is and how far away it is (I’m from Manitoba).

Queens is much closer to where I live and more affordable than Dal. My cost is actually more comparable at Queens to Robson so cost isn’t a factor here. 

I am intending to practice in Manitoba. My dad has a firm here that I intend to work for - focusing on Immigration and Criminal Law.

I had a heart to heart with my dad though today and he told me Queens would be the better option between the two. He said it will give me a leg up if I do decide to work in Manitoba, but also it will open more doors for me to work in other provinces. 

I need help choosing. Thoughts please? Thank you so much! 

LMP
  • Articling Student

I'm not an expert on the Manitoba job market, but I question the premise that going to Queens will give you a leg up in Manitoba. So if you are determined to go back to Manitoba, I don't really see the point of going to Queens. Having said that I would agree that Queens will probably give you more options if you decide you want to end up in a different province.  

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

I thought being willing to work in Manitoba already gives you a leg up

• Like 1

Chef Justice
  • Law Student

I have a friend from the Prairies at Queen's who found a 1L summer job in their home province. Them attending Queen's was not an issue for them trying to find their job (this shouldn't be an issue of course). Queen's holds more "national prestige" if that's what you're looking for. Otherwise, this comes down to if you want to experience a school out-of-province.

Edited by Chef Justice

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

Queen's is a national law school which definitely gives you many more options across the country and a more prestigious law degree.  Your dad is right about that.  It also has a first-rate criminal law program, correctional law clinic, etc.  Seems the better choice to me (but of course I'm in Ontario and know little about Robson).