Windsor vs TMU

pineapple

pineapple

Hi!

I've been accepted to TMU recently but have been given a very short time to make a decision on whether I want to accept it or not. I have provisionally accepted Windsor a while back. I need some help with deciding which is better!! 

I'm very torn between the two and I don't know which to choose. I want to practice in estate law after graduation, preferably in the GTA! Tuition/fee costs are not too much of a priority for me, but regardless I think both level out when I factor in rent for Windsor. 

Here are some pros and cons I can think of for each so far:

TMU:

PROS: commutable from home (1-2 hrs by train one way according to Google), in the GTA already, IPC program

CONS: less prestige

WINDSOR:

PROS: very established, lots of clinic opportunities

CONS: would have to move away from home, is not in the GTA, considered a "safe" school in terms of application requirements

Thank you so much!!

BHC1
  • Lawyer

A senior lawyer that I work with signed a few of us up to “mentor” students at TMU at the school’s request given its lack of alumni connections. From what I’ve seen, the lack of established clinics and alumni network are a clear minus. With that said, the students I’ve met have generally been bright and have found employment in the fields that they have been looking into.

Windsor is clearly more established. If you want a 2L job through the standard recruitment process, I would suggest attending here.

But if you’re going to consider going to Windsor, I would strongly suggest you visit the city, meet with some current students there, and try to get a sense of whether you can be happy there for 3 years. It is definitely different from the GTA.

Congrats on your acceptances. Best of luck.

Edited by BHC1
  • Like 2

Vizslaw
  • Lawyer

Assuming we are talking about the single JD program at Windsor, I would choose Windsor.

evergreen
  • Law School Admit

If it isn't UBC, UofT, Osgoode or McGill, moving doesn't make sense when factoring in the cost of moving, the stress, and the rent, especially if you live with supporting parents. (Super personal opinion).

• Like 1
  • Nom! 1

Chef Justice
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, evergreen said:

If it isn't UBC, UofT, Osgoode or McGill, moving doesn't make sense

(Queen's, Western, UVic and Dal want to know your location)

• LOL 1