Does when you get accepted to a law school matter?

ccd

ccd
  • Applicant

I was fortunate enough to be accepted at Western during their first wave. I worked very hard on my entire application, but I felt especially proud of my personal statement. I consider myself to be a strong writer and in my opinion, this is the reason why I was accepted at Western so early on in the process. Recently (after the April 1st deadline) I was also accepted to Queens. I like Kingston a lot more than London and previously wanted to go to Queens more than Western. However, part of me now feels tied to Western as they saw my potential immediately. I want to go to a school that appreciates my talents, and with Queens accepting me later on in the application process, not offering me tours to see the campus, and only giving me two weeks to make a decision, I am beginning to think that Queens will not be as good as a fit as Western. When someone gets accepted to a school might not matter at all, and I might be overthinking this whole thing but I honestly have no idea where to go to school so any insight would be appreciated!

Edited by ccd
  • Like 1

BHC1
  • Lawyer

14 minutes ago, ccd said:

I like Kingston a lot more than London and previously wanted to go to Queens more than Western.

I say this all as someone who attended and enjoyed going to Western. 

Unless there’s a juicy scholarship with that early admissions offer, choose Queens. The majority of the admissions committee will have forgotten your application by the time exams come around. Flattery is nice, but it doesn’t mean much in the long run. Go where you’ll be happier.

• Like 1

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

The admissions office works independently from the rest of the school, so none of the flattery you’ve received from Western will in any way translate to how you’re treated once you become a student. At either school, you will start as a face in the crowd.

So you shouldn’t base your long term decision on how you’ve felt appreciated by the admission committees. I’d just go to Queens.

• Like 2

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

Way, way, overthinking it.  On your first day you will meet your new classmates.  No one will have any idea who was admitted in "the first wave" and who snuck in last week.  No one will care.  This includes your professors.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 4

enpassant
  • Law School Admit
5 hours ago, GoatDuck said:

The admissions office works independently from the rest of the school, so none of the flattery you’ve received from Western will in any way translate to how you’re treated once you become a student. At either school, you will start as a face in the crowd.

So you shouldn’t base your long term decision on how you’ve felt appreciated by the admission committees. I’d just go to Queens.

I was under the impression that, at certain faculties, professors are involved in the admissions process. Is this not true?

Edited by enpassant

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
49 minutes ago, enpassant said:

I was under the impression that, at certain faculties, professors are involved in the admissions process. Is this not true?

Even if profs are involved, you are one of a few hundred fresh law students among the many thousands that each faculty professor will have taught. Unless you have a connection with a professor from your pre-law life or you are a genuinely notable standout candidate that caught somebody's eye, you probably aren't going to be remembered by the time you start 1L.

OP, I'd ignore the fluff and go where you want. You may have gotten accepted at Western earlier than Queens for any number of reasons, including pure luck. None of this will matter come September.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, enpassant said:

I mean, you're right but don't overthink it. You'll find that as a law student the school doesn't really care about you. That isn't to say they're cruel or anything, they just aren't going to bend over backwards for individual students. 

The exception to this is if you do really well in law school (and I mean really well). I know one or two people who get a bit more pampered by the administration because they desperately want them to clerk. But beyond that this isn't really a factor.

Western isn't going to treat you any better (on this basis) and they aren't going to know who you are when you show up. Don't let this be too much of a factor in your decision. 

• Like 7

GoatDuck
  • Law Student
9 hours ago, enpassant said:

Just to add a story to what everyone above has already said. One of my 1L profs said that he had been on the admissions committee and that he had reviewed everyone’s application and read everyone’s PS. He still needed several weeks before he could remember our names once the classes actually started. I’m sure if you asked him “what did you think about my PS?” he’d say, “it was great! You’re admitted!” But that’s where it ends. Being on the admissions committee is more of an administrative chore for the profs, they couldn’t care less to remember who had the most exceptional PS or whose LSAT was very impressive. Unless you’re rocking a 4.0/180, in which case they’ll remember you as an admissions anomaly, but I doubt even that would make them remember your name. 

• Like 2