UAlberta vs Osgoode

gj001

gj001
  • Applicant

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking for some advice from others about which law school would be the best choice.

For context, I am interested in practicing Aboriginal Law or Corporate Big Law. However, I'm from, and currently live in Vancouver so I'm a bit conflicted because I think I would like to end up in the Vancouver market, but I have yet to hear back from UBC or UVIC. If I was unable to get into the Vancouver market, I would prefer to work in Toronto over Edmonton/Calgary.

I was between UofA and Dalhousie, but I accepted UofA because I thought it would be a good choice for myself and I liked the idea that it wasn't too far from home, especially after spending four years in a different province for my undergrad. However, I just received an offer of admission for Osgoode and now I'm having to rethink my options.

I am a bit worried about the cost difference between the two schools. I would need to apply for scholarships, loans, etc, to pay for my degree, so the stark difference between the cost of living and tuition for Osgoode and UofA is definitely a strong factor in my choice. However, I hear so many great things about Osgoode and I'm worried that if I decline my offer I would be losing out on a fantastic opportunity. I want to make sure that I am making the right choice, and I don't have anyone close to me that works in a legal field or went to law school, so I'm at a bit of a loss. 

Any information, advice, or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you 🙂

Edited by gj001

• gj001 changed the title to UAlberta vs Osgoode
LMP
  • Articling Student

@duck went to Osgoode and landed Vancouver biglaw. I know they found that going to Osgoode helped them out a lot, but I'll let them share their experience. 

Mal
  • Lawyer

I have law degrees from both Osgoode and UofA, they are similar in quality from my perspective. There certainly isn't enough academic separation between the two to warrant spending tens of thousands more on Osgoode. 

Toronto is nicer than Edmonton though and has a stronger legal market. So, if you are open to Toronto long-term, I'd say Osgoode would edge out. 

• Like 1

duck
  • Law Student

I work with people and know of many people who went to U of A and work in Vancouver Biglaw. I chose Osgoode because I wanted to go to Osgoode, not because I felt it would give me a significant edge over other applicants. Osgoode is expensive. I think it's a worthwhile investment to make if you want to do Toronto Biglaw but if your goal is Vancouver Biglaw, go to the school where you will have to pay much less in rent and tuition.