Maybe to early to chance?

HushMoneyCase

HushMoneyCase

Hi!

I am a third-year political science major (in mature entry) and I have about 18 credits left to complete my degree. I have yet to take the LSAT. I am currently sitting at a 3.00 cGPA, but with an L2/B2 of 3.46. If I were to bump my cGPA up to like 3.5+ and have a B2 of 3.7, and score over 160 on my LSAT, what are my chances of getting into Queen's/Osgoode/UT/uOttawa? 

My softs aren't the best, but I am active in my ethnic community and work in the public service. 

I appreciate it 🙂

Please don't roast me for my spelling mistake I was too nervous posting on this forum 😅

chaboywb
  • Lawyer

Are you in a four year program? If so, I'm not sure I understand your numbers. How could you end up with a 3.5 if your cGPA is a 3.00 and you are more than halfway through? Is this out of 4.0, are you assuming you'll get perfect grades over the remainder of your courses?

That said - yes, if you can get a 3.5+ cGPA and 160+ on the LSAT, you will have a good shot at one of those schools. But that is a lot of hypotheticals. 

HushMoneyCase
Posted (edited)

I am currently in a mature entry program. I am retaking some of the courses that destroyed my GPA, mainly my Cs. Maybe not perfect but definitely at least an A-  average is feasible for me in the last 2 semesters. That said I will study hard for that LSAT and will aim to get over 160. Sorry for the hypotheticals, there's only so much information I could go off of right now since I have not graduated yet.  

Edited by HushMoneyCase

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit

Yes, it's too early since your question hinges on so many hypotheticals.

39 minutes ago, HushMoneyCase said:

I am currently in a mature entry program. I am retaking some of the courses that destroyed my GPA, mainly my Cs.

You will need to double check with your university, but doing this could change your initial takes to NCRs on your transcript. Ontario law schools calculate your grades per OLSAS criteria, and a NCR is counted as a '0' - this would trash your GPA compared to a C. It makes more sense to just take a new course, learn something new, and maybe get a higher mark. Proceed carefully. 

160+ is too vague. A 165-169 could open a couple of these doors, while a 161 and 3.0-3.2 cGPA is going to be an uphill battle at a lot of these schools. 

Edited by MyWifesBoyfriend

HushMoneyCase
9 minutes ago, MyWifesBoyfriend said:

You will need to double check with your university, but doing this could change your initial takes to NCRs on your transcript. Ontario law schools calculate your grades per OLSAS criteria, and a NCR is counted as a '0' - this would trash your GPA compared to a C. It makes more sense to just take a new course, learn something new, and maybe get a higher mark. Proceed carefully. 

Thank you, I did not know of this. It takes forever to be able to speak to a department advisor, but I have an appointment soon and I will make sure to ask. Highly appreciated!

VIPigeon
  • Law Student

Unfortunately retaking classes will not help your OLSAS GPA any more than just taking a different class. I can confirm that they still factor in the "old grade", it does not disappear from your transcript or their calculation. I saw it happen with my own application a few years ago, and you can also confirm here: https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-gpa-calculations

Not meant to discourage you, but you should know so that you can take classes you actually enjoy instead of just trying to repeat those other ones for a higher grade. Definitely speak to your academic advisor though. And no matter what, just study hard for the LSAT!

sx786
  • Applicant

How does OLSAS view my repeated course which I did not fail initially - 

For context I went to York and my transcript shows a (C+ NCR) - will they use the grade or count it as a 0.00??