If no news by now should I assume an R?

AnxiouslyApplying

AnxiouslyApplying
  • Applicant

As title suggests, if I haven’t heard back from UNB by now (no A, R or WL) should I assume it’s an R (or at best a slot on the WL waaay down at the bottom lol) and move on? 

UNB is my number one and I only applied to it this cycle, so if I don’t get in I’m done for this year. Should I just begin preparing for next cycle and use this time to grieve the R and start studying for the LSAT again. I don’t know how much more I can handle mentally in terms of waiting and checking everyday, etc. I’m losing sleep and going a bit mad. 

Stats for reference, 3.5/4.3 w drops and 161

I'd be pretty surprised if they rejected you and doesn't seem like a stats issue.

Normally I'd be more skeptical but in your case I'd say don't give up yet. I know reaching out is generally frowned upon but it might be worth a try in your case. 

AnxiouslyApplying
  • Applicant
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, LMP said:

I'd be pretty surprised if they rejected you and doesn't seem like a stats issue.

Normally I'd be more skeptical but in your case I'd say don't give up yet. I know reaching out is generally frowned upon but it might be worth a try in your case. 

Thank you for your response, this comment made my day! I’m trying so hard to hold out hope, but balancing that with being realistic! 

I feel like the potential issue is I took the Feb LSAT (my first attempt) and applied one day before the deadline (on Feb 29). I’ve seen some WL’s go out to people who applied the week of the deadline, so I assumed they would have made it through to the end by now. Am I mistaken in assuming that??

I’d like to hold out hope because I feel like my application overall was good - lots of softs, unique PS, LOR from prof I was a research assistant for on his published paper, three years of work experience in the legal field, certified paralegal with LSO, etc …… I don’t know if I’m trying to convince them or myself anymore lol 

either way, thank you for this ray of hope 

Edited by AnxiouslyApplying

englishmajor
  • Law Student

Last year a number of waitlist emails ended up in people’s spam folders so I’d keep an eye on it, they give you a deadline to respond to that email. 

Acceptances go out in waves as each round passes the deadline to accept. A lot of them go out early June, with the latest I know of as late as the last week of August. 

My advice would be to stop trying to read what they’re doing based on what other people are posting, and honestly just don’t even check if other A’s are going out. 

AnxiouslyApplying
  • Applicant
7 hours ago, englishmajor said:

Last year a number of waitlist emails ended up in people’s spam folders so I’d keep an eye on it, they give you a deadline to respond to that email. 

Acceptances go out in waves as each round passes the deadline to accept. A lot of them go out early June, with the latest I know of as late as the last week of August. 

My advice would be to stop trying to read what they’re doing based on what other people are posting, and honestly just don’t even check if other A’s are going out. 

Thanks for the advice!

My best friend lives close to UNB and is friends with a lot of law students there - one of whom wasn’t accepted until mid August, which made my stomach drop when she first told me. I could go on a whole rant about that being a thing, but really all that’s going to accomplish is giving me a headache 😂

I’m in a bit of a twisted cycle of checking my email, spam folder and the forums about five million times a day, so you’re right that I should just stop trying to predict and just go live my life! I doubt I will because I’m currently incapable of thinking about anything else, but I really should lol 

FellowTraveler
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, AnxiouslyApplying said:

one of whom wasn’t accepted until mid August, which made my stomach drop when she first told me. I could go on a whole rant about that being a thing, but really all that’s going to accomplish is giving me a headache 😂

The person getting accepted in August is only getting that call because someone else dropped out at the last minute. Would it be preferable if they just didn't fill the seat?

I’m in a bit of a twisted cycle of checking my email, spam folder and the forums about five million times a day

If this is the case, you need to proceed as though you got the R. If law school is what you really want, then improve your candidacy for next year. That starts today; don't just fugue through the summer and then realize there's nothing much you can do before the next cycle. And if law school isn't for you, then you have a head start on figuring out what is.