Work Environment - Toronto vs Vancouver (Corporate Firms)

Spinnaker

Spinnaker
  • Law School Admit

I apologize in advance as these questions probably seem silly or trivial (yes, I know applicants/incoming students ask the weirdest questions - sorry) but I'm trying to find out as much as I can about the differences between Toronto and Vancouver jobs to make an informed decision heading into law school. I've read all the discussion about corporate "Big Law" associates having long hours and no work/life balance, and this is not an issue I'm concerned about. I'm willing to put in the hours and the years of long, hard work, but my questions mainly revolve around the differences between the Toronto and Vancouver markets.

If anyone has any answers for the any of the following questions, I would appreciate it!

- Is the actual work being performed in the corporate environment significantly different between the two cities (i.e. I imagine there may be bigger deals and transactions happening in the Toronto market mainly because it's the center of business in Canada, but are the skills and experience gained from the work being performed largely the same)?

- Do Vancouver associates generally work the same number of hours per week as Toronto associates at equivalent large firms?

- Do Vancouver associates wake up extra early to match the Toronto hours of business, since that's when the stock market/business transactions happen?

- Anecdotally, in your opinion, which city is better for future career progression (job opportunities, making partner, future transition to in-house, etc.) or is there no real difference?

- Anecdotally, which city would you prefer to work in?

Thanks in advance!