Opinions on the Laurier-Sussex Law Degree Program

Audacious

Audacious

I have applied and been accepted into Wilfred Laurier (Waterloo) concurrent law program that offers a undergraduate degree here in Canada and a law degree over in the UK. However, folks over at Reddit have said that this program is mostly a scam and provides far fewer career opportunities as a lawyer. Should I proceed with my program or switch to a normal undergraduate degree and apply to a Canadian Law School if I were to continue to pursue with law? Let me know what your thoughts are on this program. Thanks everyone!

enpassant
  • Law School Admit

The folks on reddit are correct. Complete a regular undergraduate degree, write the LSAT and attend a Canadian school if your goal is to work in Canada. 

Edited by enpassant
  • Like 6

If you'd like to be a lawyer in Canada you should avoid that program. 

• Like 2

Ob16
  • Law Student

You will end up paying way more money, have way more headaches and way less job opportunities if you proceed with Sussex. Those programs are predatory and prey on high school students that don’t know the risks.

Edited by Ob16
  • Like 1

SNAILS
  • Articling Student

@Audacious, if you are still considering doing this, then at least spend some time on the internet researching the NCA process. You would be a person with a foreign law degree on equal footing with a person who did a law degree in any other country, and the affiliation with a Canadian university does not change that.

I know at least two people who attended a British Law school with intent to be a lawyer in Canada who did not end up working as legal assistants. The NCA process is quite difficult.