Chances/Advice for where to apply with somewhat unique softs (GPA 3.86/4.33, LSAT T.B.D)

cborliidnge

cborliidnge
  • Applicant

Hello all

I possess somewhat unique softs on top of pretty decent standard stats and was wondering what schools would be most likely to additionally factor them in. 

I have a Diploma in Heritage Carpentry w/honours (indicating only a high grade average) and two years working in the field. 

On top of that I am working towards a standard B.A in an honours program, having just finished my third year. GPA is likely a bit higher as I have several additional transfer courses that my institution doesn't factor in its calculation. And in addition to those, I have some more pretty regular softs

-Multiple club involvements, a few volunteering engagements

-Partially working during school year, quite varied work experience in general compared to most applicants

-Volunteer First Responder w/ St.Johns Ambulance

I'm holding out for new August LSAT but anticipate a mark in the 160-165 range barring either a disaster or miracle.

So in short, which schools would my additional two year diploma and other softs be more likely to be a positive factor? I think I've got an unusually strong holistic application.

Thanks!

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer

Softs are a roll of the dice and are nearly always trumped by GPA/LSAT. What I'm saying is, regardless of what your softs are, nobody can give you a real answer about your chances without an actual LSAT score.

It's not useful/practical to estimate chances based on "anticipated" LSAT scores either.

• Like 5

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit
On 4/25/2024 at 11:40 PM, cborliidnge said:

So in short, which schools would my additional two year diploma and other softs be more likely to be a positive factor? I think I've got an unusually strong holistic application.

I don’t want to be too discouraging, but these softs don’t really constitute an “unusually strong holistic factor”. Sure, you’ve got a bit more going for you than the average K-JD, but it’s not uncommon for Applicants to have other degrees, diplomas, work experience, and volunteering under their belt.

I’d say your profile is decidedly average. Fortunately, your GPA seems competitive, so a LSAT score in the 160s sets you up nicely for a few schools.

Edited by MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Like 1

Ribbons
  • Law Student

Without stats, it is really difficult to estimate entrance, and stats are (unfortunately) the key factor in almost any school. Ultimately though, I agree with @MyWifesBoyfriend that your softs are not 'unusually strong', which does not dismiss your chances of getting in, but (solely based on the description above, which is pretty minimal) this looks like a standard resume of a holistic applicant. At least in comparison to folks I know at UofA, I think you might be underestimating the average law school applicant which is a common mistake because, well, how would you know! 

3.86 GPA is solid but there is a big difference between a 160 and 165. Ultimately, for UofA for example, 3.86/160 is almost guaranteed stats-based entrance but a 3.86/165 is a guaranteed offer. 

• Like 1