2L Transfers -> Alberta Law Schools

FourteenWishes

FourteenWishes
  • Law Student

Hello,

Currently admitted 1L in Ontario. Desperately hoping to transfer to Alberta (UofC or UofA) for 2L. What are the chances? Any current transfer students? The school websites are vague to say the least. I have reached out to the schools directly, and they just copy and paste what the website says. Trying to get a sense of realistic chance of this happening.

Any insight appreciated! Thanks for reading.

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

You generally need very good grades in 1L and a good reason for transfer. It's a black box; the only info out there is what's on the website and personal experiences of students who've attempted transferring. Others can shed more light on this, but I think that an average student should expect that they will not be able to transfer.  

Whist
  • Law Student

Given you're still in the admissions cycle and not currently in 1L, I would in your shoes just wait and reapply next year to get the school you want if it doesn't happen this one. Unless you're okay with the good likelihood of having to do your whole JD at the Ontario school(s) you've been accepted to. There's no reason you need to start law school right now to the point of accepting an offer with full intent to try and get out of that offer, for the reasons GoatDuck has stated.