Currently down after a rejection. Please chance me for TRU, Bora Laskin, uOttawa. Already waitlisted at UNB. Rejected at UBC, UVIC, and Windsor Single

Trillex

Trillex
  • Applicant

Letter grade from TRU: A-

LSAT: 156, 157

OLSAS CGPA: 3.27

CGPA at my University: 3.40/4.33

L2: 3.52

B2: 3.61

Applied access/discretionary where I could as I have been supporting both my parents since end of high school/first year of university in 2019 who were disabled in car accidents (some financially but mainly care taking as I have a significantly younger sibling as well). Have a few years volunteering then working with a firm that deals with personal injury. I also worked part time throughout my undergrad. Excellent LOR from professor and retired attorney general. This is my first cycle applying and I just graduated from my undergrad in December. Had a rough first and second year taking care of my parents but kicked it into a higher gear towards the end of my second year and finished semesters with some type of Presidents/Deans Roll.

saulgoodman17
  • Applicant

Although discretionary can be a wildcard I'd say your chances aren't great unless you improve your LSAT (I'm assuming you have graduated so you can't fix your GPA ). Although you have an access claim and good softs, those often aren't enough when you are below average on both GPA and LSAT. I'm sure if you put your mind to it you can crack the 160s!

chaboywb
  • Lawyer

You never know, but Ottawa and TRU are most likely a no. I don't really know what Lakehead looks for so won't chime in on that one, and UNB has waitlisted you so obviously a chance there.

A discretionary application helps with your GPA and you have an upward trajectory, but your LSAT hurts you. I'd operate under the assumption you're not getting in this year and try to get your LSAT up to a 160.

Obviously its a decision only you can make, but I feel like you should consider whether a move to Thunder Bay or Fredericton makes sense for you if those are your only options this year. If you can hit 160, I feel like you'd have a shot next cycle at a school in Western Canada. If you intend to practice in BC, I expect it'd be tricky to do so coming from UNB or Lakehead - though maybe that's that beats another year of waiting. Just something to consider.

Edited by chaboywb