Just accepted and don’t know what to do!

cuincourt2027

cuincourt2027
  • Law School Admit

I was just accepted to UNB this morning! EEEEK!!! I recently finished my Masters at Dal and while there, visited New Brunswick a few times. I really loved living on the East Coast.

I already paid my deposit at TRU back in December. It’s my neighbouring province, and BC seems like a beautiful place to study, work, and live.

I don’t know what to do now. Can someone who has attended UNB Law or knows someone who has, weigh in on what Law School is better?

LMP
  • Articling Student

Keep in mind just how much cheaper UNB is. I know TRU has a nice location but you should be cognizant of the difference in cost. 

I'd say it is probably warranted if you are deadset on practicing in BC. But if you are more open I'd probably lean into UNB. 

• Thanks 1

englishmajor
  • Law Student

NB is definitely more affordable than BC. The city is much smaller and walkable and you run into classmates or even partners at the local firms just out and about for coffee which is super cool to me.

I also think UNB is very underrated academically with leading scholars in a number of areas, as well as a broad network of alumni mentors. 

I grew up in BC and am currently attending UNB. One of the profs refers to NB as cheap BC. 

• Thanks 1

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

Where do you want to work after law school, Atlantic Canada or the West (or neither)?

cuincourt2027
  • Law School Admit
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, englishmajor said:

NB is definitely more affordable than BC. The city is much smaller and walkable and you run into classmates or even partners at the local firms just out and about for coffee which is super cool to me.

I also think UNB is very underrated academically with leading scholars in a number of areas, as well as a broad network of alumni mentors. 

I grew up in BC and am currently attending UNB. One of the profs refers to NB as cheap BC. 

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and help me! I am feeling very lost and confused in what to do, so I appreciate anything/all you have to say!

I definitely would prefer living in a smaller city that’s walkable! I would find that super cool too… I think a collegial and tight-knit experience is what I’m looking for. There’s no doubt NB would be beautiful to live in, but how’s the university in your opinion? Are you attending their Law School?

As @LMP said, the cost in tuition (and living) should also be taken into account!

I think my main concern is which School is better academically? Are the profs and alumni better at TRU, or UNB? I don’t know where I want to practice @Dinsdale but I know I’m interested in Health Law and want as many opportunities as possible. I would want my job prospects to be like: “Wow, you attended UNB/TRU, so we want you!”

Edited by cuincourt2027

Diplock
  • Lawyer
12 minutes ago, cuincourt2027 said:

I think my main concern is which School is better academically? Are the profs and alumni better at TRU, or UNB? I don’t know where I want to practice @Dinsdale but I know I’m interested in Health Law and want as many opportunities as possible. I would want my job prospects to be like: “Wow, you attended UNB/TRU, so we want you!”

Yeah, that's not going to happen. You're taking advice well and so hopefully you can take this well also, but you aren't choosing between Yale and Harvard here. You're choosing between alternative mid-tier schools (and even "mid-tier" is a bit generous) where the best you can say about either of them is that they might have somewhat greater regional recognition in their respective regions - which is exactly why @Dinsdale's question was the right one. The reaction you're going to get from either school, on the bare level of "here's where I went to school" is more along the lines of "that's an acceptable place to have been educated - now what's actually interesting about you?"

I'm glossing over the rest of the details here, but the most standard advice I end up giving in situations like these is that you need to confront questions about your priorities, your goals, etc. if you want to make a decision intelligently. "I want as many opportunities as possible" is not a statement of priorities - it's actually the opposite. It's expressing the desire to find a solution that avoids needing to make decisions at all right now, by simply promising that whatever you end up wanting to do you've made the best possible decision for all scenarios. And that's not going to happen either.

So, start answering some of those questions you've been asked, and go from there. That isn't to say you can't change your mind in the future, btw. You can and probably will. But to make the best decisions now, you still need to go on the best answers you have available now.

• Like 6

englishmajor
  • Law Student

UNB has been around 100+ years longer than TRU. Their alumni network is going to be a lot more established and diverse. The professors are great and very accessible, and the current dean is very committed to growth while keeping the small collegial atmosphere. 

Also the student body is quite great and upper years are very supportive if you take the time to get to know them. The school is small enough to get to know everyone and have all the profs know you by name. 

• Thanks 1

cuincourt2027
  • Law School Admit
2 hours ago, englishmajor said:

UNB has been around 100+ years longer than TRU. Their alumni network is going to be a lot more established and diverse. The professors are great and very accessible, and the current dean is very committed to growth while keeping the small collegial atmosphere. 

Also the student body is quite great and upper years are very supportive if you take the time to get to know them. The school is small enough to get to know everyone and have all the profs know you by name. 

This is good to know! I’m trying to hear as much as possible about the quality of education and how prepared one feels for the practice of law at either Schools before I make my decision! It’s also helpful to hear how the upper years and profs are so supportive!

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
On 4/27/2024 at 5:24 PM, cuincourt2027 said:

I’m trying to hear as much as possible about the quality of education and how prepared one feels for the practice of law at either Schools before I make my decision!

To be blunt, law school generally does not prepare students for the practice of law. You're not going to learn how to redline a contract or collect on a client bill or negotiate a settlement.

As far as "quality of education", other commenters have more or less addressed this above. I'm a TRU alum but I'd imagine the quality is pretty similar between TRU and UNB.

I think you should be making your decision based on where you want to practice law. If you want to work in BC/AB, TRU is a no brainer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1