Osgoode vs UBC public sector

biffo852

biffo852
  • Applicant

Osgoode was initially where I was going to end up until I got my UBC acceptance. I live in Vancouver and would likely want to practice here in the future so I thought it would be a fait accompli that I would go with UBC. However, I just need to make sure it's the right choice.

I am someone who wants to work for the public sector. My preferred choice is the Competition Bureau, followed by DOJ or MAG for civil litigation. Failing that, I would be interested in governmental bodies such as Securities Commissions, Police Watchdogs, and Coroners, or litigation boutiques for administrative/public law.

Even though I live in Vancouver and absolutely love my life in BC, I am concerned that I am missing out on opportunities in Ontario by staying in UBC. Being in Ontario would mean I am closer to the feds. The Ontario MAG would also have more opportunities than the BC MAG. For competition law the Ottawa/Toronto Competition Bureau offices are the biggest, and most competition lawyers are based in Toronto. I also used to live in Toronto and do thoroughly enjoy the city as well. Osgoode also just seems like such a great school with its diverse student body and long history of public service alumni.

Conversely, BC is more at the periphery of Laurentian nexus of Canada, yet there is still a Vancouver office for the Competition Bureau, and there is also a local DOJ office. The tuition is much cheaper (13k vs 26k). Though UBC seems more corporate than Osgoode (though big enough to accommodate non corporate types).

How should I evaluate the lost Ontario opportunities versus the potential BC opportunities to be involved in interesting work related to my fields of interest?

Also posted to Reddit.

BHC1
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, biffo852 said:

periphery of Laurentian nexus of Canada

Vancouver isn’t exactly a backwater small town, at least by Canadian standards 😂

Asides from a slight disadvantage at Ontario MAG which will be balanced out by a slight disadvantage at BC MAG, there is no advantage to attending Osgoode over UBC for your public/government law purposes. Go where you think you want to practice long term. You can always apply for jobs that really speak to you in the other province. 

Edited by BHC1
  • Like 1

LMP
  • Articling Student

I don't think you'd gain anything by going to Osgoode. Take UBC. 

• Like 2

CeeCee
  • Applicant

I think the only person who can make this decision is you. Or, call a potential mentor in the field you want to work. Ontario is my home and I don't know anyone here who would pass up the opportunity to attend Os if they got in. That said, those people didn't get in, so you're already better than us! The world is YOUR oyster. Do what YOU feel is best for you.

• Hugs 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

I would rather work in the public service with UBC-level debts than Oz-level debts. 

• Like 3

biffo852
  • Applicant
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, BHC1 said:

Vancouver isn’t exactly a backwater small town, at least by Canadian standards 😂

Messages from the governor-in-council from Ottawa take two weeks by messenger to reach us, that is if they are not routed by highwaymen and anti-federalists in the Alberta plains. 

Edited by biffo852
  • LOL 2