NY Recruit?

LordHobHaus

LordHobHaus
  • Law Student

Hello, 

I am 1L at Western. My mid-term grades were quite high, I have very strong work experience, and I also have a unique/quite competitive 1L position. 

I have received several emails concerning the NY recruit and I would be interested in applying as I think I would like to practice in NY at some point. However, I am a bit wary of applying because Western is not known to place in the NY recruit and I feel like as a result the requirements to be considered would be even higher than for an applicant from Osgoode or UofT. Similarly, unlike the Toronto market, I don't know anyone working in New York and have virtually no network...I definitely feel like a huge part of me getting my foot in the door for 1L interviews was the fact that I already had quite a few connections. 

What do people think? Is it worth it to throw in an application? Additionally, are there any resources that would be helpful regarding the application process?

Thanks!

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

I don’t understand what’s preventing you from applying. You already have a resume from the 1L recruit. It’ll take under an hour to format it according to the US recruit standards. If I’m not mistaken, many Wall St firms don’t even ask for a cover letter. Your 1L job will probably not be super advantageous for the recruit, it’s fine but I wouldn’t count on it carrying you. It might be getting too late to start networking, but if you have the grades then you can get away without networking (at least coming from Oz/UofT, idk about Western). Or you can reach out now and see if anything comes out of it. Look for Western grads and Canadians more broadly.

• Like 1

BHC1
  • Lawyer

There are a number of Western grads in NY, particularly from the last few years when a lot of associates were being poached from Toronto. You can always DM them on LinkedIn or email them. 

Just apply. 

• Like 1

theycancallyouhoju
  • Lawyer

Sorry, your question is whether it’s worth an hour or so of preparing an application to take a shot at extra hundreds of thousands of dollars? 

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

CB2021
  • Law Student
Posted (edited)
On 4/28/2024 at 9:32 AM, LordHobHaus said:

I don't know anyone working in New York and have virtually no network...

I also did not know anyone...until I started building my own network by reaching out to alums and Canadians working in NY. It's never too late to start networking. Even if you don't secure a job this time around, establishing contacts in the NY market will be helpful when you want to move down later. 

Edited by CB2021
grammar