Would it be a mistake to only apply for articling positions in Toronto/the GTA rather than also applying in Ottawa/Northern Ontario?

hopeforthebest

hopeforthebest
  • Law Student

Hi everyone, 

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this question.

For several reasons, I have a strong preference for returning to Toronto/the GTA for work. However, the deadline to accept an articling offer in Ottawa/Northern Ontario is ahead of the application due date for most Toronto/GTA positions. If I were to be offered a position, I would have to decide whether or not to accept it before I would have the chance to be considered in Toronto/the GTA. I realize articling is only one more year, but I am concerned that it would hurt my reputation and burn a bridge if I didn't accept a hire-back offer at the end (if I were to be offered a position). I have also heard it can be challenging to be hired as a first year associate, so I would ideally like to article at a place where I might be hired back and where I would like to stay long term.   

So far, my grades are all As and Bs (with a few more grades in the B range than the A range). I have some law-related work experience and will have a law job this summer (but it doesn't lead to an articling position). I'm attending a mid-tier Ontario school. I am most interested in criminal law but I plan to apply to positions in a variety of practice areas to increase my chances of being hired somewhere. 

My priority is getting licensed, regardless of where I need to move to make it happen. Obviously, I realize that my odds of getting something will be better if I send out more applications. I'm just wondering if only applying to Toronto/GTA jobs would seriously jeopardize my chances of landing somewhere. 

Thank you to anyone who answers 🙂   

LMP
  • Articling Student

If the criteria are basically "crim and in the GTA" I have very little doubt you'll find a position. 

I don't think you need to (or even should) restrict yourself to nothren Ontario or Ottawa. 

Also, you're taking about deadlines, that's a formal recurit thing. A lot of employer you would be interested in don't do the formal articling recruit. So you really don't need to worry about those timings. 

• Like 2