Going to school outside where you want to work

LawApplicant2556

LawApplicant2556
  • Applicant
Posted (edited)

Hi! I recently got accepted into Dal & TRU, but I'm leaning towards Dal right now. I've heard and seen an emphasis on going to school where you want to work, is it really a big deal, and will I have a harder time finding a job in BC (where I want to work, and where I'm from)? Also, will it be difficult to transition to a different provinces legal system? Ideally, I'd like to work for the government, or in non profit law.

Thanks!

Edited by LawApplicant2556

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

I’d probably go to Dal, unless TRU is significantly cheaper overall (considering cost of living etc). You may have a harder time finding a job in BC but it only means that you’ll need to be more proactive and tailor your application materials accordingly.

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer

There are two main benefits with choosing TRU over Dal:

1. Direct networking with BC-based employers. At Dal, you’re not going to have BC firms at your career day nor will they be recruiting directly from Dal like they do from TRU. These jobs will still be available to you, but you’re going to have to reach out to them on your own.

2. If you’re from BC, flying back and forth from Dal is going to suck.

• Like 1