Chances for this Cycle

BritishBond

BritishBond
  • Applicant

CGPA: 2.5

B2: 2.9

LSAT: 158

Do I have a chance of getting in anywhere in Canada? I'm a minority student with law firm experience. Extenuating circumstances that can explain low GPA.

Any feedback or suggestions help thanks

GGrievous
  • Law Student

I think your chances are pretty low unfortunately. You might have a shot if your circumstances make you eligible for discretionary categories, but typically from what I've seen those with very low GPA's have high LSAT scores and vice versa. Your best bet would be to take the LSAT again and get into the 160's, but even then I think it's pretty difficult to overcome a sub 3 GPA.

Edited by Barry
  • Like 2

Thrive92
  • Applicant

Unfortunately, I cannot think of a school that is willing to admit a >3.00 gpa even with a high enough lsat to compensate it.

I would recommend you take some additional courses to at least get your gpa (cgpa/b2/l2/b20) to 3.00+, and retake your LSAT so that it would be at least in the 160+

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

@BritishBond You are currently not a competitive candidate for any Canadian law school. This is clear and I agree with the two posters above about it.

My take is somewhere in between theirs with respect to what (if any) LSAT score could change that. I believe an LSAT in the 160s is unlikely to cut it but I don't agree that no LSAT score would compensate. IMO if your grades stay where they are you need a 170+ LSAT and you'd likely get in somewhere if you apply broadly. But it will be a challenge getting there from a 158.

I'd keep plugging at if if you really want to go to law school but I'd definitely keep other options open.

EDIT - Perhaps very high 160s will work but my point is that you shouldn't expect increasing your LSAT score by a few points to make any difference.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 1

Goblin King
  • Law Student

I'll echo what other posters have said -- you probably need to improve your entire stat profile to stand a decent chance. I don't want to sound harsh, but if you've taken the majority of the required courses in an undergraduate program that suits your aptitudes and made a good effort to study for the LSAT, there's a very good chance that even if you were admitted, you'd be an poor law student. If there's some sort of underlying health or personal issue that you can resolve and  subsequently perform at your best, that's a completely different story. Either way, I wish you the very best of luck.

Edited by Goblin King
  • Like 1

Piffle
  • Law Student

As others have said, the unfortunate bitter truth is that given your current stats, it'll probably be rejections across the board.

But speaking from experience, taking extra courses might be a viable way out for you. I personally extended my undergrad into a 5th year, solely for the purpose of making myself competitive enough for B2/L2 schools. For me, doing this paid off.

That being said though, I urge you to think long and hard before going down this path. Because taking the gamble of extra courses comes with a high financial/time/opportunity cost, with no guarantee that you’ll be successful. You’ll have to be honest with yourself here: are you truly assured in your capacity to dramatically improve?

If so, and you’re still motivated to do this, I wish you the best of luck OP – it’ll be a long road ahead, since there’s really no shortcuts to improving your stats. 

Edited by Piffle
  • Like 1