Chances for Fall 2025 (cGPA-2.67, B2/L2- 3.24/4.0, LSAT- N/A)

MoneyMan

MoneyMan
  • Applicant
Posted (edited)

Hi All, 

Short intro about my background- Finished my undergrad (BSc Pure Mathematics), worked part-time all my university life at one of the Canadian communications company you probably heard of. Also completed an internship with an actuarial organization in the US, and another 8 months internship in actuarial consulting with one of the biggest financial consulting firms in the world. Since graduation, I have been working as Actuary for almost 3 years now (2 firms- both publicly listed and very well known companies in Canada & overseas).

Though I feel like my life experiences have been very well and continuous in respectable organizations, I am very bothered of the fact that I have a low GPA,
I calculated by GPA's from the OLSAS calculator on this forum and this is what I see:
Average-  3.21
cGPA- 2.67
L2/B2- 3.24
L3/B3- 3.01

For LSAT, I haven't taken it yet, but is there any advice on what score I should target? 
Also, do any of you think there is a shot for me at getting an acceptance at Law School in Canada, given I have a good LSAT score?
My preferences would be any of the schools within Ontario (except Lakehead), but I am willing to move anywhere in Canada if it comes to that.

Thanks in Advance!

Edited by MoneyMan

• MoneyMan changed the title to Chances for Fall 2025 (cGPA-2.67, B2/L2- 3.24)
tobi
  • Law School Admit
Posted (edited)

When creating a new thread, please include your cGPA and LSAT in the post title.

But, I see where your concern is. You have a low cgpa and just want to know where you stand at this point. Anyways, shoot for 168+ to low 170s and then write the optional statements discussing your grades. If you can 180 the LSAT, then that's good. We don't know how much time you can give to prepping for the LSAT. 

For your last question, yes there is a shot for you getting acceptance at a law school in Canada after you've taken the LSAT and have a score on file. Good luck. People with under 3.0 cgpa have gotten in law schools.

Edited by tobi

• MoneyMan changed the title to Chances for Fall 2025 (cGPA-2.67, B2/L2- 3.24, LSAT- N/A)
MoneyMan
  • Applicant
3 minutes ago, tobi said:

When creating a new thread, please include your cGPA and LSAT in the post title.

But, I see where your concern is. You have a low cgpa and just want to know where you stand at this point. Anyways, shoot for 168+ to low 170s and then write the optional statements discussing your grades. If you can 180 the LSAT, then that's good. We don't know how much time you can give to prepping for the LSAT. 

For your last question, yes there is a shot for you getting acceptance at a law school in Canada after you've taken the LSAT and have a score on file. Good luck. People with under 3.0 cgpa have gotten in law schools.

Thanks for the response!

My bad, just edited the post to include my cGPA and LSAT in the title. 

As in for the prep for LSAT, I'm targeting the August sitting and I am wiling to dedicate 10-20hrs a week for prep. 

Thanks again!

• MoneyMan changed the title to Chances for Fall 2025 (cGPA-2.67, B2/L2- 3.24/4.0, LSAT- N/A)
CleanHands
  • Lawyer

You asked about what LSAT score to target. The answer is always "as high as possible," but in your case this needs to be emphasized a lot more than usual.

Odds are not in your favour, unfortunately.

I had a higher cGPA and a much higher B2/B2 and L3/B3 than you (while still being a low GPA splitter), with a strong upward trend and medical documentation contextualizing my grades. I also had a 99th percentile LSAT score. I was a mature student with different but comparably "worthwhile" work experience to you. Canadian law schools, even ones with "holistic" admissions process, don't care enough about your work experience to offset well below median stats unless you are practically a Nobel prize winner or Olympic medalist.

Admissions were still a huge crapshoot for me and I was in a significantly better position than you will be. I still got a number of acceptances even to some great schools though, so I could feasibly see you getting in somewhere if you absolutely crush the LSAT.

The bottom line though is I don't see you getting into any law school in Canadian with anything less than an absolutely stellar LSAT score.

• Like 4

MoneyMan
  • Applicant
39 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

You asked about what LSAT score to target. The answer is always "as high as possible," but in your case this needs to be emphasized a lot more than usual.

Odds are not in your favour, unfortunately.

I had a higher cGPA and a much higher B2/B2 and L3/B3 than you (while still being a low GPA splitter), with a strong upward trend and medical documentation contextualizing my grades. I also had a 99th percentile LSAT score. I was a mature student with different but comparably "worthwhile" work experience to you. Canadian law schools, even ones with "holistic" admissions process, don't care enough about your work experience to offset well below median stats unless you are practically a Nobel prize winner or Olympic medalist.

Admissions were still a huge crapshoot for me and I was in a significantly better position than you will be. I still got a number of acceptances even to some great schools though, so I could feasibly see you getting in somewhere if you absolutely crush the LSAT.

The bottom line though is I don't see you getting into any law school in Canadian with anything less than an absolutely stellar LSAT score.

Thanks @CleanHands

I will focus and try my best on LSAT. I really appreciate your insights. 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
58 minutes ago, MoneyMan said:

Thanks @CleanHands

I will focus and try my best on LSAT. I really appreciate your insights. 

No worries, I wish you the best. I wouldn't have been able to go to law school if not for the LSAT and maybe you're wired the same way; only one way to find out.

I can't speak to every school from direct experience. For example, TMU didn't have a law school yet when I applied. I'm sure you know this and will, based on your OP, but be sure to apply broadly. Good luck!

• Like 2